Subscriber Discussion

Importance Of Quad Processor?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Sep 04, 2016

What is quad processor and its significance?

JH
John Honovich
Sep 04, 2016
IPVM

For what application? A VMS server or?

Jon Dillabaugh
Sep 07, 2016
Pro Focus LLC

I believe you mean a Quad CORE CPU....

If you truly mean Quad CPUs, then that would be a beast of a server...

Joseph Parker
Sep 08, 2016

I would guess this question refers to the newish LTS/Hikvision NVRs touting their quad cores procs. I haven't done an appliance in a while, but I am also interested to know if the new proc helps with playback speed, etc.

Jon Dillabaugh
Sep 08, 2016
Pro Focus LLC

Multi-core CPUs are only valuable if the OS and app both support multithreading. In the case where a manufacturer spends the extra resources on a multi-core CPU, you should be safe to assume the OS and app are multithreaded and take advantage of the extra CPU cores.

On the other hand, multi-core CPUs are usually ran at lower clock speeds than single core CPUs. Depending on the OS and app, you could benefit from a faster core vs more cores. I would, again, trust the manufacturer to do this homework for you.

As for the benefit, it should enable more traditionally sequential tasks to be ran simultaneously, which gives the user a more responsive, faster experience. That is the design anyways.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Sep 08, 2016
IPVMU Certified

...you should be safe to assume the OS and app are multithreaded and take advantage of the extra CPU cores.

True. Though I think you would have to its almost go out of your way to write recorder software that wouldn't take advantage of multiple cores.

Only because, even in the crudest architecture you would still have a seperate process for each incoming and outgoing stream, which would be spread across the cores by the OS.

Contrast to something like Photoshop, where the code of a filter has to be designed from the get-go for parallelism, since the natural tendency would just be stepwise computation.

(1)
UI
Sep 08, 2016

The Quad Processor im referring to is something like this

Image result for quad processor

U
Undisclosed #2
Sep 08, 2016
IPVMU Certified

What is quad processor and its significance?

This trusty device is used to switch between the output of 4 SD analog cameras on a directly attached monitor. It also can do magic, and make a "quad" image from all 4 and displaying it thusly:

Sadly, the importance of the "quad-processor" has diminished significantly over the last 10 years, due to the rise of digital and megapixel imaging in security.

Yet there are many still in service. And back in the day, even a black-and-white quad could mean the difference between life and death in the big city.

What's your interest in the significance of the quad-processor?

UI
Sep 08, 2016

I was just reading through surveillance products then came across that so i was just curious to know more

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions