Subscriber Discussion

If You Are Having To Secure Your Network Because Your Security Devices Are Known To Be Inherently Insecure, You Are Just Plain Doing It Wrong

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Mar 27, 2017

Particularly given that "air-gapped" networks can still be compromised via numerous methods by a determined attacker, so the more avenues you secure effectively, the safer you are.

It's one thing to design a hardened network design because it's the right, safe, or proper thing to do. Because it's beneficial to design. Because it's a security requirement for a sensitive installation.

It's entirely another thing when you're having to recommend hardening a network above and beyond what is inherently necessary or beneficial - and risking falling into the "so secure it's no longer useful or accessible" territory - just to make up for shortcomings in the devices you're attaching to your network.

Fact of the matter is if you're having to secure your network because your security devices are known to be inherently insecure, you're just plain doing it wrong.

Just because all devices can be insecure, and to some degree should be treated as such, does not mean all devices are insecure, nor does it take the onus of shame off security devices that are, in fact, insecure, with known, inherent security flaws that can only be remediated by disconnecting the network from any other point of entry.

NOTICE: This comment was moved from an existing discussion: Always Choose HIKVISION

(6)
(1)
JH
John Honovich
Mar 27, 2017
IPVM

#1, thanks, I moved this to its own discussion since its a good point and I have heard a number of integrators argue the opposite.

The other side is, the best I can tell:

• The worst that can really happen is that the devices are used to botnet attack someone else but nothing bad can really happen to me
  • Nobody really wants to hack my {insert: pizzeria, small business, house, office} anyway so why should I care
  • I am saving so much money with this equipment that it more than compensates me vs the low chance of being hacked, etc.

Curious what people have to say.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Mar 27, 2017

First of all I couldn't agree more with the OP.

I was recently at a work shop on securing Axis camera's (put on by Axis) and it was mentioned that you (your company) can be liable for damages caused by IP cameras (or other devices) that you own or install. I would love to see some example cases of where this happened.

If you don't think companies want to collect your data then you must never go on the internet... pretty obvious that every single website you go to or app on your phone is trying to collect as much info as they can possibly get away with.

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions