Subscriber Discussion

Would You Have A Problem Terminating A Customer Who Did Not Pay Their Bills?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jun 07, 2017

There are numerous examples of service providers that will terminate you for not paying your bill.  Would you have a problem terminating a customer (alarm service or video service) who did not pay their bills?  Given the quality of the technology, I would think it would be fairly easy to design a "stop" into a system that terminated your service if you did not pay your bills.  Opinions?

(1)
JH
Jay Hobdy
Jun 08, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Are they late or just not paying at all? I would see if they need special billing accommodations etc

But no. No problem. I was told if customers arent paying, they are stealing.

(3)
(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Jun 08, 2017

It depends , I would definitely find a way to include the past into the future , and use the moment to force payment under hardship with penaltys 

If great customer , then No, use leverage , code , hardship situations for demand of payment . 

If bad customer then , immediately drop , 10 day notice. 

I have had accounts go as far as a year, then pay penalties and paid up before more work. 

If you want a list : JCI, FEmoran, siemans, Adt , etc 

(2)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Jun 08, 2017

I would consult a lawyer before doing anything as far as locking systems or service. That can open a can of worms.

If it is a windows based surveillance system, remote in and install Fortres 101, and change the passwords on the recording software, and you can render the system locked. The Fortres 101 prevents them from uninstalling and reinstalling any software...it locks down the system.

Alarm system- if you have the programming ability remotely, change all the codes and have it display a message on the keypad.

UI
Jun 08, 2017

That is the kind of thing I am talking about.  Once they become current, we turn things back on.

UI
Jun 08, 2017

OP here.  I am speaking about new customers that have not earned the trust.

My question goes more to technology than whether or not to do it at all.

If we could (and we can) incorporate technology into a new install to just reach in remotely and shut it down, would you?

For instance, we can make all of the codes in a system expire after 30 days.  If they don't pay their bill, we don't give those codes full-time access.  We just let them expire.

In an integrated system, we do have the ability to use a relay (from the alarm/access side) to shut off the video.  

Would you do that if you had the ability?  

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Jun 08, 2017

Keep control, keep them happy, let them hang themselves, then Make them pay extra for damages 

We always get paid or they get the train wreck 

with access control, alarms , remote programmable items its easy to maintain the need to pay their bills. 

But on a job where your just another sub. or friendships, or favors , it s another story.

We always enforce the Code, thats why we always get paid or they get the free inspections, or the gov. agency paying house calls for violations. 

some times it takes time , and that s painful , wait time. 

YOU still have to pay your bills. 

Also Black list , Extra charge List , Additional Charges List. 

Find what serves you best and maintains a good co. image, and relationship. 

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #4
Jun 09, 2017

Has anyone ever looked into the legality of this?  It is quite easy to shut down the system or build in other mechanisms on these systems to hold them hostage (e.g. 1 frame per minute) until paid.  If this is something that is even remotely legal?  If it is, it could be an intiguing option should we start to run into these types of clients again.  Of course, I am not considering an this forum as firm legal advice.  I just would have assumed this is illegal.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #5
Jun 09, 2017

I can tell you how I handle delinquent accounts in the alarm side of the industry. It depends what the relationship is between you and the subscriber. Are they chronically late with payment? Do they disregard a late notice? Do they respond to a phone call? I give them an opportunity to show me how they're going to handle payments before I progress to a letter of cancellation. When I send a cancellation to be effective in 10 days they call and plead for continuance of service. That's when I offer to continue service if they become an annual payer, rather than quarterly. That way I only have to play tug of war once a year instead of quarterly. All of my annual payers pay on time and seem to prefer this arrangement. Have a written agreement prepared.

On those who just do not respond to the 10 day notice, and if they are a radio account, in my case AlarmNet, I submit a cancellation to the Central Station and nothing else is required. The AlarmNet account is disabled by AlarmNet so no signals are passed to the Central Station.

On older systems I try to gain the cooperation of the subscriber to disable the communicator, on site or remotely. Negotiation skills are needed and we usually part ways amicably.

I don't lease systems, all systems are sold and owned by the subscriber, so I don't disable or change anything other than the communicator, leaving the system as a local. 

As far as surveillance systems, I sell the system outright so I collect upon completion. If a customer refused to pay an outstanding balance I would turn them over to collections or file a small claims action. Have never had to do that.  I would not tamper with the system by rendering it inoperable or limit performance, as this might bolster their case for not paying you.

(1)
fs
farley schapira
Jun 12, 2017

Once they stop paying and begin the run around, we give them 7-10 days, then the are terminated! 

A customer is someone who pays their bills. 

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions