Subscriber Discussion

"If The USA And China Ever Went To War, Don't You Think The Chinese Government Would Use Every Tool At Their Disposal To Win?"

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Apr 03, 2017

The one question I ask that almost always knocks Hikvision out is:

"If the USA and China ever went to War, don't you think the Chinese Government would use every tool at their disposal to win?"

It's not Hyperbole - It's an absolute truth that the next war will be fought every bit as much in cyberspace as on the ground

Food for thought

NOTICE: This comment was moved from an existing discussion: Hikvision Dealer Round Table - Here Is What They Had To Say

(2)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Apr 03, 2017
IPVMU Certified

If The USA And China Ever Went To War, Don't You Think The Chinese Government Would Use Every Tool At Their Disposal To Win?

Perhaps.  But if they did use every tool at their disposal, I would be slightly more concerned about these vs. camera backdoor.

(1)
(1)
(4)
RS
Robert Shih
Apr 03, 2017
Independent

I know I would. Wars can be won before a single shot is fired.

And those in the picture are less than impressive.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Apr 03, 2017
IPVMU Certified

And those in the picture are less than impressive.

Agreed, I think that's just OEM stock, not the good ones...

(2)
MM
Michael Miller
Apr 03, 2017

They could do just as much damage using Bots to attack our critical infrastructure and financial networks. 

RS
Robert Shih
Apr 03, 2017
Independent

Cameras are additional members in the botnet.

(3)
U
Undisclosed #2
Apr 03, 2017
IPVMU Certified

They could do just as much damage using Bots to attack our critical infrastructure and financial networks.

No, China using every nuclear weapon at their disposal would lead to the death of millions if not billions of people and threaten the very existence of the human race.  

(2)
MM
Michael Miller
Apr 03, 2017

The same result could happen if they attack our nuclear power plants with cyber weapons.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Apr 03, 2017
IPVMU Certified

The same result could happen if they attack our nuclear power plants with cyber weapons.

You think?  Average number of deaths from a meltdown of a nuclear reactor estimated here at 400.  One out of 100,000 meltdowns might be expected to have 50,000 deaths.

Even with 99 nuclear plants in the US all melting down in a worst case scenario, a single missle would likely kill far more.

I don't deny that US infrastructure is certainly vulnerable to hacking and we need to take strong action to remedy.

And, for the record, I don't think that US government or critical domestic functions should be using products easily controlled and subverted by a foreign state.

But over the top rhetoric serves no one, and instead lessens everyone's credibility.

(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #3
Apr 03, 2017

Skimming that article, it seems to only take in to account accidental meltdowns, where backup systems are still in place and running.  It doesn't consider all hell has broken loose, and we are pretty much powerless to stop it.  There are two plants within spitting distance of where I live, which is a metro area of 6.3m people.

U
Undisclosed #2
Apr 03, 2017
IPVMU Certified

As far as infrastructure deaths go, probably the biggest weakness is dams.  No radiation.  Could be 200,000 people dead/massive damage.

But to the original post, in a war with China where every weapon at their disposal were to be utilized, nukes are king.

There are of course many lesser scenarios, and I don't put it past Chinese or Americans, for that matter to use the cyber tools available to them.  

(2)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #4
Apr 03, 2017

Maybe... but nuclear fallout aside they could limit the damage to the US if hitting our plants and infrastructure.  Either way, a war between superpowers has no winners.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Apr 03, 2017

There's a variety of targets that would cripple us in a cyber attack:

• The power grid
  • air traffic control
  • the financial markets
  • the communications networks

all without ever firing a shot

(3)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions