Subscriber Discussion

If Pricing Would Not Be An Issue, What Brand/Model Camera Would Be Your Go To Camera? Why?

DM
David Matyas
May 18, 2015

If pricing would not be an issue, what brand/model camera would be your go to camera for a typical install? And why?

Basically if you would not need to be worried about having to price below a competitor, which camera would you realistically use? By realistically, I mean that you not go spends thousands on a 40MP camera for a simple hallway camera, etc....

Hal Bennick
May 18, 2015
Trafficware, a CUBIC Company

Crazy answer? Sony XIS http://ipvm.com/updates/1331

Tip of the tounge answer - Mobotix, because they are one of the few manufacturers that consistentley make me say "Huh, that's neat".

Company affiliations aside, and yes, I do work for them, Panasonic has some great imagers. I'd install them.

TU
Tony Uhl
May 18, 2015

Anything Axis, we have done many side by side comparisons and Axis always wins.

(3)
U
Undisclosed #2
May 18, 2015

Honest question, what were the primary evaluation criteria in your comparisons?

I haven't considerd Axis a category leader in too many places lately. Their strengths seem to be on wide-ranging product portfolio, near universal VMS support, universal availability and so forth. I thought most people picked Axis as a safe bet in terms of overall product stability and familiarity (which is not something to be discounted).

(1)
Ethan Ace
May 18, 2015

Their strengths seem to be on wide-ranging product portfolio, near universal VMS support, universal availability and so forth. I thought most people picked Axis as a safe bet in terms of overall product stability and familiarity (which is not something to be discounted).

I think many integrators, if not the majority, would cite those things combined as stronger reasons to pick Axis than just image quality, as long as image quality is competitive, even if not top.

(2)
U
Undisclosed #2
May 18, 2015

If he had just said something like "Axis", I might not have questioned it. But the post made it seem (to me) like the preference was more based on performance than support. Or, maybe I read it wrong, that's why I was asking.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
May 18, 2015

Hands down if price were not an issue I would use the new H4 PRO series cameras and digital SLR lenses from Avigilon.

(1)
(1)
TU
Tony Uhl
May 18, 2015

I have just never been dissapointed with an Axis camera, especially the higher end ones. Obviosly I have not tried every camera from every manufacturer. Like I said if it were me and money was not an issue, it would be Axis cameras.

(2)
DM
David Matyas
May 18, 2015

To elaborate a bit (I cant edit the initial post). If you knew you had a job, (so there was no bidding) and the customer told you to give them the best, but without wasting money, what would it be?

Keith Walker
May 19, 2015

We've had a situation like that, but were able to do multiple locations for a customer with different brands. We used Sony, Axis, and Samsung. Without question, my customer was most impressed with the Sony picture and that is who they have directed us to use going forward.

One note on the installation side, with the particular VMS that they use, we have to make more adjustments to the Sony cameras than Axis. For example, they come defaulted at 30 IPS and (IIRC) a CBR of 8000. Unlike Axis, where it really doesn't matter what the cameras are set to initially, the Sonys choke the server unless we pre-program them, or turn off the VMS services until we get the settings correct.

PB
Phil Brown
May 20, 2015

I'm partial to Avigilon and Sony. Those are the two brands that seem to have the least amount of problems, come with tech tools, and provide an amazing picture. Sony's DH series are great for indoor retail installs. Avigilon's HD PTZ works great even when mounted mulitple stories up. I've read license plates of parked cars several hundred feet away with the digital zoom.

(1)
HL
Horace Lasell
May 20, 2015

Only if money was no object, L3 Wescam. Very large aperture, PTZ, from wide angle to mega zoom, laser illuminator, laser rangefind, etc. etc., what's not to like? I'd fit the product to the space (eg 25" ball might not work under eaves).

Jon Dillabaugh
May 24, 2015
Pro Focus LLC

I've installed or supported many brands, but I always come back to Hik/Dahua as my pick. Sure, they are already affordable, but we have better outcomes when using them. We are currently working on a larger project with a variety of existing Axis cameras and I can say that I just don't care for them much. I also personally own an Axis box cam that was originally about a $700 camera and a very similar Dahua that cost around $250 and the Dahua always looks much better in the tough scene I have them in, my garage.

We also assisted a client who purchased their own Sony cams, and the image quality was far inferior to the $200 Hik mini domes we used side by side.

(1)
(3)
(2)
U
Undisclosed #3
May 24, 2015
IPVMU Certified

...I always come back to Hik/Dahua as my pick.

Choosing Hikua when price is not an object, is an unexpected but courageous move that I fully support...

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #4
May 25, 2015

FLIR Star SAFIRE 380-HD

Better have $300K for each camera location!

ka
ken alen
May 25, 2015

I agree with Avigilon H4PRO Series with SLR lens without a doubt.

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions