If IPVM Was Based In China....

JH
John Honovich
Dec 29, 2015
IPVM

This is straight from the PRC's official press agency:

"A new committee will be established to implement a self-discipline pact on ethics in the media industry....

The signatories pledged to "protect the leadership of the Communist Party of China and the interests of the state, and to not publish or spread any information that would undermine the image of either."

On the plus side, security trade magazines would do really well there. On the negative side, so much for any real information or debate.

(1)
(1)
Ari Erenthal
Dec 29, 2015
Chesapeake & Midlantic

IPVM with a breaking story: Commies have an obsessive need to control information. We'll have more on this shocking development tonight at eleven.

(3)
JH
John Honovich
Dec 29, 2015
IPVM

What fascinates me is that they said it point blank in their own publication. It's one thing for Westerns to make a claim like that, it's another thing for the CPC itself to assert that in its own English language site.

U
Undisclosed #1
Dec 29, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Dear Comrade Erenthal,

Your post has been reviewed by us and found to have exceeded the following previously agreed upon guidelines.

Negativity - Allowed: 20% You: 75%

Sarcasm - Allowed: 35% You: 100%

Don't do it again.

Thank you.

(3)
(12)
AT
Andrew Thomas
Dec 29, 2015

Step in line - Or else!

JH
John Honovich
Dec 29, 2015
IPVM

They are extremely sensitive about Tiananmen square and their brutal track record.

But they are not shy about showing off. Here is a disturbing new photo and article straight from the Chinese government: Ultimate Dogfight: Only the Fiercest Wins

Imagine not being able to criticize or object to something like this?

(3)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Dec 29, 2015

"They punch, corner, and bite. It is no less fierce than a human boxing or UFC fight."

Last I knew, you could not bite or rip pieces of skin or body parts off in UFC. Hitting in the throat, testicles, kidneys and eye gouging was against the rules. If it looked like you were seriously hurtt, they'd stop the fight. And fighters were there by choice and could quit anytime. However, I have seen some heavy bleeding in UFC fights they let go by amid bloodthirsty cries from the crowd, which embarrasses and concerns me as it makes us more and more 3rd world like in my mind.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Dec 30, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Last I knew, you could not bite or rip pieces of skin or body parts off in UFC.

"It is no less fierce than a human boxing or UFC fight."

So it could be more fierce.

"...human boxing..." as opposed to?

Ari Erenthal
Dec 30, 2015
Chesapeake & Midlantic

"...human boxing..." as opposed to?

As opposed to this guy.

Armando Perez
Jan 06, 2016
Hoosier Security and Security Owners Group • IPVMU Certified

I imagine theres lunch at this event after the fight?

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Dec 29, 2015
IPVMU Certified

On the plus side, security trade magazines would do really well there. On the negative side, so much for any real information or debate.

It might take a few years, but they'll get there...

NOTICE: This comment has been moved to its own discussion: What The Future Chinese IPVM Will Look Like

(1)
(9)
HL
Horace Lasell
Dec 29, 2015

This was a work of art! It looks like it was a lot of effort. LOL keep up the great work!

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #3
Dec 29, 2015

That deserves a free membership! Nice work.

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Dec 30, 2015
IPVM

1, that's quit a utopian future you've painted!

(1)
Jonathan Lawry
Jan 03, 2016
Trecerdo, LLC

I nearly spit out my coffee when I saw "Brian Schmode to head WTO". This alone has made IPVM membership worthwhile.

(1)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Jan 03, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Cheap shot, I admit.

There's an old saying in security journalism "No one ever got fired for working over Bryan Schmode." Working under him was a different story of course.

(3)
JG
Jeff Goodrich
Dec 29, 2015

China is not a communist country. It is fascist. But I understand why many people often confuse the two. Both require state control of behavior and thought via one-party rule. Both claim to be implementing policies solely for the benefit of the average working man. But fascism allows private ownership of factories and real property, whereas communism keeps all productive property and real estate in the state's/party's control. China switched from communism to fascism under Deng "It is glorious to be rich" Xiaoping, who lead the transformation from a closed economy to a partially open one.

IMHO, we are fools to continue to do "business" with state owned and financed companies. Once the yuan is part of the SDR, their central bank will be able to print money just as our Fed does, but instead of it sitting idle in bank "excess reserves", it will likely finance unprofitable enterprises such as Hikvision and Dahua solely for the purpose of taking market share, maintaining domestic employment and, therefore, enhancing the political power of the Communist Party.

(3)
U
Undisclosed #4
Dec 29, 2015

I think Yuan was added to SDR on Oct 1 2015?

(1)
JG
Jeff Goodrich
Dec 30, 2015

The decision to include them in the SDR basket was made in October 2015 but doesn't go into effect until 10-1-2016.

https://www.imf.org/external/np/exr/facts/sdr.htm

U
Undisclosed #4
Dec 30, 2015

yep, my mistake

AT
Andrew Thomas
Dec 30, 2015

Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public.

H. L. Mencken

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Jan 03, 2016
IPVMU Certified

China is not a communist country. It is fascist.

Agreed!

Both require state control of behavior and thought via one-party rule. Both claim to be implementing policies solely for the benefit of the average working man.

Disagree, (a little). Although both are one-party rule, in theory at least, pure Communism does not require state control of behavior and thought, as the state is merely the collective. And in pure Fascism, glory to the state is the sufficient reason for policy making.

That said China is not anywhere near pure Communism or pure Fascism for that matter. They're their own deal. Although the natural decay of Communisim may lead to Facism, as is happening in China today, there is an undeniable Capitalistic element involved as well. Their stock market crash, and its impact on the hoi polloi is evidence that there exists more than just nominally appointed wealth of the Fascist state.

These 3 idealogical elements are in tension, and though I agree Communism is on the wane, it remains to be seen what will come from the struggle between the Greed of the State (Fascism) and the Greed of the People (Capitalism).

HL
Horace Lasell
Jan 05, 2016

Great philosophical discussion. An interesting and very significant aspect of IPVM's "China Report" was the sense of entrepreneurship sprouting everywhere. I'd love to see that in America.

AT
Andrew Thomas
Jan 05, 2016

Without capitalism - there are no rewards to entrepreneurship. There is nothing wrong or sinister with creating something of value, and having the freedom to sell product or service.

(4)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Jan 05, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Agreed. And outside of its own borders, China is all about capitalism.

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #5
Jan 06, 2016

You would have 1.4 billion subscribers ;)

U
Undisclosed #1
Jan 06, 2016
IPVMU Certified

And the same revenue.

(1)
(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Jan 08, 2016

"And the same revenue."

Darn, I was just going to make a similar remark/joke.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #5
Jan 08, 2016

Of course, only HIK and Dahua would be innovative in reports.

Longsee would be competitive and the rest would be expensive products by capitalist western manufacturers of lower quality.

You could Google that if it wasn't blocked :)

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions