Subscriber Discussion

If Have A Cableiq And Linkrunner, Is There Really A Benefit Of A Cable Certifier Like DSX-5000?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jun 07, 2015

We currently use the following fluke products in our installations/testing (some are more for IT):

CableIQ

LinkRunner

OneTouch AT.

None of them do cable certification. If the customers do not require it, do you find something like the DSX-5000 to be really beneficial? With the linkrunner and the onetouch I can see if the wire is getting a gigabit connection to the router. I cant really see the reason why though.

Thanks

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Jun 07, 2015

Network cable certification by a proper certifier is definitely important. Just because your getting a network connection and a gigabit connection through the cable doesn't mean your getting a good connection. You can have all sorts of underlying issues which a certifier test for.

I have seen this time over time from companies that install cable and don’t certify the network lines. Usually the client notices intermittent issues and poor network connectivity. We come in with a network cable certifier only to find issues with terminations and cable lengths.

If your in the business of running network cable you need to get in the habit of certifying the lines.

UI
Jun 07, 2015

Thank you.

When you find a fault, is usually the solution just to re-run it or does it give you better information on how to fix it? For example if it is that a high voltage wire gives interfernace, does it say where on the line that happens?

Derek Ward
Jun 08, 2015
Hanwha

Sometimes. It's rarely spelled out that clearly. Especially if there's interference, it's usually looked at as an accumulation of interference over the course of the whole run, so it's hard to pinpoint.

The first step I take (unless there's a break in the cable somewhere) is to reterminate both ends, being very careful about maintaining twists and bend radius. Sometimes that alone is enough to improve a borderline cable run. Failing that, re-run.

UI
Jun 08, 2015

My linkrunner, can go ahead deterimine if the line is getting the proper speeds. So if I am not going to know how to fix a bad connection with the certifier, then is there really a benefit on getting that device that is much more expensive?

Thanks

U
Undisclosed #3
Jun 07, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Do you find any point in using a qualifier like the Cable IQ, assuming the cable has passed certification? Since it runs actual performance tests on the cable, which most certifiers do not.

Or have you found if it passes the certification it will always pass qualification?

DM
David Matyas
Jun 08, 2015

If a cable certifer finds a fault is it usually something worth fixing or is it better just to run new lines?

KL
Keefe Lovgren
Jun 08, 2015
IPVMU Certified

David,

Sometimes it is a problem with the termination and is a quick fix. It is more cost effective to visually inspect a connector and re-terminate it than to install a new cable run.

U
Undisclosed #3
Jun 08, 2015
IPVMU Certified
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions