Subscriber Discussion

How Should I Install A Camera On This Roof Line?

FM
Fabien Monceaux
Jun 07, 2015

I am trying to come up with an idea on installing on a home with this type roof. Owner is ok with the vent being blocked but the camera will not get a good angle with the beams in the way. I appreciate any ideas you all may have on this, camera model is up to me dome or bullet.

roof line

KL
Keefe Lovgren
Jun 07, 2015
IPVMU Certified

are you trying to get the camera to the end of the eave/fascia and are concerned about conceiling wires?

FM
Fabien Monceaux
Jun 07, 2015

Yes wire concealment is very important to this client. I am running ip cameras so it will only be a single cat5 to each camera. Thanks for your input.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jun 07, 2015
Maybe an upside down bullett would extend low enough or a dome hanging down off a wall mount. Various models have the dome base hanging lower than the wall cable entry.
MT
Matt Transue
Jun 08, 2015

Can you route cables down from the ceiling?

Maybe consider a dome with a pendant mount? This should allow the cable to be hidden inside of the pendant mount and bring the camera down lower to see below the beams.

Just a thought :)

FM
Fabien Monceaux
Jun 08, 2015

I was thinking along the same lines, would be great if they had a 90 degree elbowdo you know of any place to get the mounting hardware?

MT
Matt Transue
Jun 09, 2015

Hi Fabien,

Usually the manufacturer of the dome will have a pendant mount available, but they may not have various lengths.  However, you can likely use your own conduit as a pendant mount (at whatever length you'd like).  This is assuming the dome has a NPT hole to connect the conduit to.  Another benefit to using your own conduit is that you can bend it a bit.  So you could do an easy swooping bend to bring the camera down a little, or you can do a harder 90 degree junction with two pieces of conduit and a 90 degree connector (like below).  You can hopefully get something like this from a local hardware store.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Jun 11, 2015

What about a dome camera mounted on the brick just below the beams? Make it more overt.

Jon Dillabaugh
Jun 14, 2015
Pro Focus LLC

Why not span the rafters/joists with a similar board, painted to match, so you can then mount the camera to a horizontal surface. This will save you from drilling into brick.

GC
Greg Cortina
Jun 14, 2015

Fabien,

The angle is the issue and hard to determine from this angle. If the customer is willing to see any exposed conduit is another question. It's obvious you could drill through the facia and mount a bullet near the vent. View seems limited unless they want something close.

You could drill next to a beam and mount conduit at the roof line and install a box against the roof support beam. Mounging a turret style neat the end on a back box would allow pretty good angles or a bullet.

You could drill a hole in the bottom of the facia and install a backbox with a short piece of conduit which would then mount on the wall and provide a better angle. Bullet, Dome or Turret should give you the angle.

The conduit, box and such can be painted to match the customers existing wood and brick wall and the wiring would be generally protected, especially if you used rigid pipe instead of EMT.

It all depends on what the FOV is and what the customer will accept.

Greg

Jon Dillabaugh
Jun 14, 2015
Pro Focus LLC

Greg,

Not to split hairs, because I really am unsure myself, but is the board with the vent actually called the facia? I think the facia is just out of the view of the image provided.

Depending on the view desired, as you stated, the rafters/joists and possible facia/gutters that are not pictured may get in the way of your view. You may need to mount the camera lower to see beyond these possible obsticles.

Best way to know for sure is take a camera on site and mock it up and see what you get. That way you know that your given camera will work in your desired mounting location.

GC
Greg Cortina
Jun 14, 2015

Jon, if I had more hair we could split a few.

Technically that piece between the jack rafters is known as the wall plate. I think the best bet would be mounting on the brick wall, conduit to the attic through the wall plate.

Next would be mounting to the jack rafter with a backbox by manufacturer and using either a turret (eyeball) or bullet for the most flexibility.

Either way some conduit would show, unless he can fish the wire through the interior wall and the brick is simply a front. Typical in US housing but I don't know the overall construction of the area.

As a note, I used to install and wired the entire perimeter of a Frank Lloyd Wright house without showing a wire or damaging the concrete blocks interior or exterior with Eric Wright, grandson, monitoring the process. 50+ alarm screens and doors, multiple smoke detectors and keypads.

Good catch on the naming. Hair splitting or not.

Greg

(1)
Jon Dillabaugh
Jun 14, 2015
Pro Focus LLC

Well, I haven't any hair myself, so we have that in common!

I have to say that bullets and turrets are my two least favorite styles of cameras. We really try our best to stay with a vandal dome if at all possible.

As for the cable concealment, it all depends on the needed security, but some 1/2" EMT painted to match and a back box with a threaded insert should work fine. The back box should give the dome more height, which should help clear the rafters/joists/facia/gutter.

GC
Greg Cortina
Jun 14, 2015

Jon,

I used to detest bullets and turrets myself. Vandal domes were the leading product fo rme until I needed a longer lens, then a box camera fit the bill.

In addition, since I sold one of the lowest light cameras at the time I didn't see much need for IR lighting on a camera as well.

Well, times change and I have started to see each for their own value and I have found a new passion for turrets. They allow a flexible mounting and IR reflection back into the camera has been resolved by adding a separate piece of glass for the lens. As for vandal resistance, a piece of tape or some paint defeats the ultimate purpose of both so I stopped worrying about the IK level unless it's installed in a corrections facility, and even there they only have fists and tennis shoes to attach with, unless someone from the inside helps them. The costs have become so low they are now replaceable.

Backfocus was always an issue as well as sealing them properly on the box cameras and large housings. Bullets have also come a long way.

Each has a special place and there are good and bad in each category.

Greg

DJ
David Johansen
Jun 15, 2015

Fabien,

Can we start with why?

Why is there to be a camera at all? Are we trying to record something specific? Are we trying to be covert or overt? Should the camera be a deterrent? How high off the ground is this? Can this be reached without a ladder?

Once we know these answers, you question will become easier to address. Other than that, a vandal dome on the brick is the safest bet.

Good job asking for opininons. One common mistake is when people act alone thinking they know everything.

Another note...this looks like a well made building, (sealed joints, routed legerboards, complex cuts and vents), I hope you are being paid well.

FM
Fabien Monceaux
Jun 15, 2015
1. Camera is for property protection
2. See above
3. No
4. Somewhat a deterrent but not an eyesore
5. 11 Feet
6. Possible if you jump or your very tall
Yes, it is a well paying job with a well connected person in that town. That is why I am asking the opinion of some more experienced installers.
I have some brackets being made at a local fab shop that should cover the vent then sweep down at a 90 degree and go just below the beam. They are going to be powder coated white to match the exterior of the home.
The client prefers the look of the bullet camera's IR so I believe that is what will be mounted on the bracket if they chose that. I will bring up the points that everyone has made and I really appreciate all the feedback!
Orlando Ayala
Jun 15, 2016

I usually do something like this for better viewing angles.

(1)
(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions