Subscriber Discussion

IC Realtime 10 Year Warranty?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Sep 06, 2015

I was recently told that ICRealtime had a 10 year warranty but I can not find this in print on their website. Maybe I'm overlooking it. If this is true, how can they offer 10 years?

[IPVM Note: Here is the ICRealtime warranty terms.]

KL
Keefe Lovgren
Sep 06, 2015
IPVMU Certified

We have had a salemsan call our office a couple times wanting us to use their product, they often times do mention the 10 year warranty as a selling point. It is briefly mentioned on of the first pages of their product catalog, hard drives are not covered in the warranty but everything else appears to be.

UI
Sep 06, 2015

Also states that IR rings are covered for 3 years. Hard drive and IR are the most likely failures. Not sure there is anything they offer that I want to include in my options.

Marty Major
Sep 06, 2015
Teledyne FLIR

ICRealtime - 10 year warranty

ClearviewCCTV - 7 year warranty

Same company

Same Dahua OEM products

Clearview stuff significantly less expensive

Sidebar: How long should a relatively inexpensive camera's warranty cover?

UI
Sep 06, 2015

In 10 years, I can't imagine a "like item" to replace any of the current cameras. The technology that far down the road will make any product sold today extinct. It seems that it would be like "Oh you're VHS has finally stopped? Here is a replacement NVR for free! But your cams won't work on it!"

U
Undisclosed #2
Sep 06, 2015
IPVMU Certified

In 10 years, I can't imagine a "like item" to replace any of the current cameras. The technology that far down the road will make any product sold today extinct.

You would think, but if it's like the other long-term or even lifetime warranties out there, e.g. Belkin, Netgear, they may just have your exact model, several years down the line.

Here's how it worked from my experience with Belkin:

In the short term if your unit goes bad they might fix it or replace new at their discretion. The manufacturer is of course expecting few problems in the first couple years, so no big deal for them.

Eventually, after several years though things start to fail at an ever increasing pace.

Now when you want to RMA the unit, they of course offer you a new better a model at a great price instead. Some people will take the upgrade and some won't.

For the ones who won't upgrade, they either will replace the PSU and ship it back, or if it is something else that goes bad, they will cannibalize the needed parts from units that people DID upgrade and ship you a refurb.

As the units get older more fail, but this is offset by more people taking the upgrade because it makes more sense the older the unit.

One thing a little weird about the warranty is this part:

... Any product sold by IC Realtime but not manufactured by IC Realtime is warranted only by the original manufactures warranty, no other warranty of any kind is offered or implied. Customers seeking warranty for products not manufactured by IC Realtime need to deal directly with the original equipment manufacturer.

Taken literally, would that mean there is no warranty from them on any of their OEMed products? ;)

JH
John Honovich
Sep 06, 2015
IPVM

Check this exception / clause out:

"Service and warranty repairs are prorated from the end user date of purchase. For Four (4) years (48 months) after purchase IC RealTime covers 100% of replacement or repair costs. After 4 years (48 months), replacement or repair value will prorate for normal wear & by .83 % per month from date of purchase through the end of warranty period. Replacement, upgrade or repair charges are calculated at standard dealer or MSRP pricing whichever is applicable . Warranty is non-transferrable." [Emphasis Added]

It appears that the warranty is, at best, partial after 4 years. So if the product fails at 4 years and 1 month, you would get a 59% credit for a replacement, not a 'free' replacement. Likewise, after 6 years, you only get a ~40% credit for a replacement.

Anyone can confirm or deny this?

(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Sep 06, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Like car tires... One 'benefit' is that you don't get as upset when you find out the warranty ran out yesterday, since it dwindles down.

JH
John Honovich
Sep 06, 2015
IPVM

One downside is that many surveillance buyers are going to assume it is like almost all other surveillance warranties (full coverage for term) but it's really a full 3-year warranty with a partial / declining one after that.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Sep 06, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Do you agree though that it's a smart move for a mfr, since it makes people call to find out what "they get back" instead of just buying an XYZ replacement. Which gives them first crack at the resale.

Of course they should make the fine print a little less fine.

JH
John Honovich
Sep 06, 2015
IPVM

Longer warranties, in general, are a 'smart move' for a manufacturer, as they signal quality / confidence.

An interesting counter-example: Up until 2012, Arecont only had a 1-year warranty. Combine that with their disastrous quality track record and this made for many nervous customers. In the old days, Arecont tried to counter that shorter warranties were better because it kept the cost of products down and that customers who valued it could easily buy extended warranties. Overall, the market did not accept that.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions