Subscriber Discussion

How Often Do You Get Price Shopping Calls?

JH
Jay Hobdy
Aug 21, 2017
IPVMU Certified

We get these calls 3 -4 times a month, how much to install my cameras I already bought. I tell them it is not something we bid or do flat rate, it is XX amount per hour for 2 guys, regardless of time. Never had anyone bite. It seems to get them off the phone quicker than "We don't do that".

So I get the call today, and after I state the rate, the guy repeats the amount like in total shock.

Long story short, he reveals his friend bought the cameras and asked him to install. So he is calling around to see how much he should charge his friend. Really? I thought I was being pranked...

(1)
(3)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Aug 21, 2017

Just curious Jay whats your XX Amount Per Hour and how do you account for the truck roll? Also in answer to this post's question. We get shopped a lot somewhere in the neighborhood of 3-5 Calls a week. 

Joseph Parker
Aug 21, 2017

Unfortunately, all the time.  And like you, I've discovered that time and material rates send them scurrying away wayyyyy faster than "we don't install systems that come in the same box".  People always want to argue when you refuse to install their box store system.

JH
John Honovich
Aug 21, 2017
IPVM

I've added this question / topic to the list of future surveys. Thanks!

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Aug 22, 2017

I have a dealer that does these for about $300.00.  Why, he closes about 70% as a monitored alarm customer.  That's what he is really in business for. 

U
Undisclosed #3
Aug 22, 2017
IPVMU Certified

it is XX amount per hour for 2 guys...

Not bad considering most people are charging XXX:

JH
Jay Hobdy
Aug 22, 2017
IPVMU Certified

We are on the low side of that chart for sure.

One of our objectives is to look at costs, fine tune things etc, and I recently made some moves to help make that happen. Right now I know we are making money but do not really have firm costs.

We are also in the most saturated market in NA from what I understand, so we need to be competitive.

The title of the post was changed. We all get price shoppers, but my point was this guy was calling me asking MY costs so HE could determine how much HE should charge to install a system. 

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions