Subscriber Discussion

I Sell Dahua, Now What?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Sep 25, 2017

So forgive me because a lot of these conversations regarding Telnet, and code is quite simply over my head. 

Here is what we do

We use default TCP port of 37777

We change the HTTP port to 88

We never use admin admin. We change this to a new password that we use on all NVR/DVR to keep it simple for our techs. We do NOT share this with clients. Never happened but if a client insists on admin password we will change to what they want so they have control.

What else can we do?

Will changing the ports help? Should we change them to something much higher? 

Will upgrading everything to newest firmware help?

Our clients are not going to do VPN.They want the cheapest item. Bottom line. What is the next best option after VPN for remote access?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Sep 25, 2017

I'm not one to say what your clients will or will not pay for. If they truly won't pay for more than what they're paying now. I would look at using Digital Watchdog NVR's or a different brand from Dahua. Axis Companion NVR is an option too. Upgrading firmware should help but who knows if it really will or not.

That being said, I thought my clients wouldn't pay for more either. Until I started selling them servers and putting in legitimate systems using a real VMS. IMO it's time for integrators like you and me to be more innovative. We are currently working to release a platform using a real VMS and HDTVI cameras. When I'm done, we will have our cost of 8 cameras, VMS licenses and a 1TB server well below $1,000 for everything. This system is of course intended for homes and small businesses, and to compete with plug-n-play.

Possibilities are endless right now. Being more creative and thinking outside the box will help midgate a lot of risk with using Hik and Dahua NVRs, and deliver a better end product for your customers. Since we started using the VMS we're using our tech support department has seen a huge decrease in tickets submitted for help and we are generating more referrals. 

I realize I am being pretty vague, but I have spent many hours coming up with these solutions to just give all my hardwork away to other integrators. 

(1)
(1)
(1)
MM
Michael Miller
Sep 25, 2017

Which VMS are you planning on using with HDTVI encoders? 

UI
Sep 25, 2017

I'd rather not say right now. We're also not using encoders in the way one would traditionally think of encoders. We're working on something else. If this all works out, and it looks like it will. It's going to be a major competitive advantage for us in the residential/small business market. So I'm keeping it close to home for now. The VMS is a widely used VMS but the server and TVI integration we're working on using isn't well known. We have no control over who the developer of the integration sells to but I'm not going to give them free advertising. 

(1)
(2)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #3
Sep 25, 2017

@OP: Using a VPN is the best you can do if you need access to the installed devices through the internet. A VPN does not need to be expensive, with some basic linux knowledge (or a tutorial found at google), you can build a VPN-Server based on cheap hardware (e. g. Raspberry Pi 3). If you need more throughput, then use more cheap hardware, use a stronger Hardware or buy a ready-to-use solution.

Security is not expensive!

Never use portforwardings directly to your cameras or recorders, no matter what brand they are. Often the communication between the browser and the device is not safe and contains too many clear text information (user acoounts are the worst case) that makes you vulnerable to packet repeating attacks, session hijacking or other "funny" stuff. 

UI
Sep 25, 2017

The easiest thing to do is to install an open vpn certificate on their router and connect that way. This isn’t the best solution but it’s better than nothing and it’s not that hard to setup.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jan 14, 2018

If we wanted to get away from Dahua completely, what would be the next alternative trying to same in the same price or as close as possible? Not interested in Hik, and Uniview is not that appealing either. We used Uniview a couple years ago, had some significant issues and ditched them. Plus it looks like they have some security issues as well.

I hear some praise about Hanwha. Most of our systems are below 20 cameras but they need to remain IP since we do a lot of wireless.

Any other suggestions?

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Jan 14, 2018
IPVM

#1, you've mentioned the main ones, specifically Hanwha.

On the Taiwanese side, there is Vivotek and Geovision who are still pretty active in supporting smaller projects (ACTi has now moved to more project-oriented business).

On the Chinese side, Milesight is making a run at the professional market. If you like living dangerously, there's Longse... Reolink is active, though more consumer focused.

(1)
(2)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions