Subscriber Discussion

I Need To Run CVI About 2,500 Feet. What Should I Do?

U
Undisclosed #1
Oct 14, 2016

I've not found a good answer so I thought I'd ask here:

I need to run HDCVI video over Cat3 approx 2500' (no other options).  What should I use?

I'm currently using regular passive baluns - the picture is great, but black & white. Can you make a recommendation or referral? Thank you.

Sean Nelson
Oct 14, 2016
Nelly's Security

Active balun?

MB
Matt Bischof
Oct 14, 2016

Active won't be compatible with CVI.

I'm thinking, I'm thinking... please hold...

U
Undisclosed #2
Oct 14, 2016
IPVMU Certified

There seems to be some out there that claim to work.

Extends to around ~2000 ft. Maybe you can use two, if you really have to.

Is the dvr hybrid dvr? what about an ip camera with wireless or fiber?

Sean Nelson
Oct 14, 2016
Nelly's Security

you could always go the route of replacing that camera with an analog camera. Then you would probably get color with your passive. Or you can use active if not. I guess then it comes down to what the customer wants. A hi def bw image or a crappy color image.

(1)
MB
Matt Bischof
Oct 14, 2016

Sean's idea may be ideal... RG6, it would be possible, Cat3, never.

Jeffrey Hinckley
Oct 15, 2016

You can run analog video on active baluns (nvt?) up to a mile.

RG6 is normally rated at max. 1000 feet. It depends on the IRE requirements of the recieving device. There are cases where up to 1500 would be possible, but you may be pushing it for a readable sync. level. Video input level will be reduced.

I would not want to use my time trying to push for a solution regarding hdcvi.

With this being almost half a mile, I would assume this is another building, or a remote pole or site, either probably with a potential ground differential, which will jeapardize the input port. Most HDDVR units come with IP channels, so it is best to try local power to the camera with 5ghz radios back to the recording unit if near line of site is possible. Copper and ground differential is a bad scene and liable for problems, especially during electrical/lightning storms, or if the camera is grounded. Fiber and/or wireless is the best solution to an IP based solution.

If this is a remote building a half a mile away, use a second hdcvi recorder. We get 4 channels with drive for less than 300 bucks. Cheaper than a return trip and a "now what do I do".

(1)
(1)
Jon Dillabaugh
Oct 15, 2016
Pro Focus LLC

I second the use of wireless backhaul with an IP camera. I have no idea why you would attempt to use the CAT3 that far.

(1)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Oct 15, 2016
IPVMU Certified

I have no idea why you would attempt to use the CAT3 that far.

Maybe because you have the dvr/camera and the wire already installed?

And it already works, just in b+w.

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Oct 15, 2016
(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions