Subscriber Discussion

I Need Solutions For Blinding Cameras With Flashlights. Any Ideas?

U
Undisclosed #1
Feb 04, 2016

I have a problem where people are 'blinding' cameras at night with flashlights in a retirement community. They shine flashlights at the cameras so they cannot see.

Can you buy DVR or NVR with a capability of detecting this and notifying you via text?

How do you deal with this?

U
Undisclosed #2
Feb 04, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Use mirrored domes.

Irritates and illuminates shiners. ;)

(2)
HL
Horace Lasell
Feb 05, 2016

Off-axis overlapping coverage would require more sophisticated simultaneous "blindings" to prevent footage that might possibly support recognition of the culprits. This might be viable if it is just one or two sites, but could become expensive if the problem is occurring extensively throughout the facility.

(1)
BS
Bob Schenck
Feb 06, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Off-axis overlapping coverage would require more sophisticated simultaneous "blindings" to prevent footage that might possibly support recognition of the culprits. This might be viable if it is just one or two sites, but could become expensive if the problem is occurring extensively throughout the facility.

This seems like the easiest solution to me. Add a covert camera covering the same area from a different angle.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Feb 05, 2016
Phil Coppola
Feb 05, 2016

Are you using an Analog or IP based system?

U
Undisclosed #4
Feb 05, 2016

Use a thermal camera

(2)
U
Undisclosed #2
Feb 06, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Multiple dummy cameras.

Temporary. Peel and stick domes. Keep 'em guessing.

Related: MX Missle shell game

(2)
(1)
(1)
SK
Srikanth Kamath
Feb 07, 2016

if the camera is with some API control and if the API allow you to enable the ICR (IR Filter) then, just monitor the lux levels and when it exceeds a certain level, enable the IR filter, which would block out IR from the Flash Light, and give you a better image..?

or trigger a relay and switch on a Flood Light to illuminate the whole area, more light than the flash ligh hence camera should pick the images..?

just curious.. why do people do that just for fun or intention to harm / mens rea ..?

Srikanth Kamath
http://tskamath.pactindia.net

U
Undisclosed #2
Feb 08, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Can you buy DVR or NVR with a capability of detecting this and notifying you via text?

Most have the ability to send an email on event. Try and set the motion detection sensitivity to its lowest triggerable setting. Some of the cheaper cameras/DVRs are notoriously finicky so you may have to play with it a bit to just get flashlights. Hopefully you don't have headlights straight into the camera as well.

If you are already using motion detection for something else, you will get emails for everything so...

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #5
Feb 08, 2016

The Avigilon analytics have a function that can trigger on bright light, then send an email. You can add a Rialto to your system and get this function.

U
Undisclosed #2
Feb 08, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Is ACC necessary as well?

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #5
Feb 08, 2016

The Rialto is designed to use the Avigilon View software which is no charge. The "Sudden Light change is the analytic you need to set up. Change

(1)
TS
Travis Smeltzer
Feb 08, 2016
IPVMU Certified

I like the ideas of setting an IR filter to come on but may make the rest of the scene even darker at night or it will take too long to readjust, correct?

The idea of setting it to send texts are great but they will be gone by the time you get there.

Having the camera turn on a light is good but it may be a burden to the tenants.

This set up is in a senior community in Florida and kids are coming through and stealing bikes, etc.

I appreciate all the feedback. I cant believe they don't have a quick fix in this industry yet.

U
Undisclosed #2
Feb 08, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Quick fix is to add a discreet camera nearby.

Phil Coppola
Feb 08, 2016

[Mod note: Poster works for Sony]

Travis - I believe there is a very simple answer to this question... What you need is a camera with excellent Wide Dynamic Range. That is why I asked earlier if you were using an analog or IP based system. IP cameras tend to have better WDR performance than that of Analog cameras. Either way, you need to replace what you have now with a camera that can compensate for extreme lighting. Here are two links that I recommend you view. Please feel free to contact me if you need assistance with choosing specific model numbers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGUYnPnGV4M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Flv4ojX_8bE

(1)
Brian Rhodes
Feb 08, 2016
IPVMU Certified

If you work for or rep a manufacturer, disclose this up front or the comment will be deleted. Thanks.

(1)
Phil Coppola
Feb 08, 2016

Understood. Sorry about that.

GC
Greg Cortina
Feb 08, 2016

I am with FLIR and I don't know if this would help or not. Some of the cameras have a feature called HLC which stands for High Level Contrast and the purpose is to place black circles around head lights and such to prevent the camera from adjusting to that light.

Would it help? I don't know. It was designed for headlights.

Greg

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions