Subscriber Discussion

Suggestions To Inspect Vehicles With Cameras?

AL
Alfredo Luciano
Jan 26, 2017

Good afternoon,

I'm looking for someone who may have knowledge of a product or a system that I can recommend a client he can use to perform a full video scanning or inspections of vehicles (small and medium size luxury vehicles) as they pass through the main entrance of the dealers service warranty workshop. The concept or idea would be to have cameras observing and recording all front, rear, top and sides of the vehicle ( if possible a plus would be capacity to view under vehicle also). The purpose is to determine if the vehicle was received and entered the service area with any type of scratches or physical damages in order to avoid fraudulent claims.

I will thank you for your comments and suggestions.

Alfredo

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jan 26, 2017

Ive been there done that at a dealership. Installed cameras on the sides of the garage doors and above to scan vehicles as they come in. 9/10 times i get better images from the cameras around the exterior of the building as theyre driving in. The lighting in this particular service drive and the fact hat they come speeding in makes it hard.

Dont guarantee anything with the customer. Set realistic expectations especially when it comes to scratches because if you cant see it from 10 ft away with your own eyes, chances are the cameras will not either. Also set the expectation that chances are slim to none that the camera will see curb scrape on rims...otherwise the customer will expect you to be able to find white curb rash on a silver rim.

I recommend speed bumps as well.

(1)
(2)
PS
Parvinder Singh
Jan 26, 2017

Hi Alfredo,

I have personally assisted with one such successful deployment for a client. Please feel free to email me at support@servicetegator.us to discuss.

Regards,

Parvinder

(1)
Brian Karas
Jan 26, 2017
IPVM

I have actually seen quite a few variations on this, car dealers were a big customer base for VIdeoIQ, and so I've been to a LOT of dealerships.

Primarily, you want a camera that you can lock the shutter speed to a minimum and still get a good exposure. This mostly means controlling the light around the camera, and ensuring things like headlights/taillights do not cause exposure issues, or cause the camera to start adjusting iris, shutter speed, etc. A WDR camera would probably be a good idea for this application.

The best approaches I saw were cameras inside the service bay on pull-through arrangements where the service writer desks are inside a garage area and the customer pulls in and stops to drop off their vehicle. In these cases the lighting in the garage/service area is usually pretty consistent, and bright enough that headlights/taillights do not cause issues. (It sounds like this is the case you have). Plus, the vehicle is stopped, which helps get a clear image.

If you are going to place the cameras outside to scan vehicles pulling into an area then you may find that adding additional illuminators, even during the day, will help give you even and consistent lighting, or least a minimum guaranteed light level.

If your VMS supports it, a POS integration with the service-ticket system could be helpful to tag or bookmark video with the service ticket in case you did need to look it up later.

For the under-vehicle part, there are companies with products like this, you often find them from the vehicle barrier companies, as they are often used for customs/border and similar high security applications. I do not have any specific product recommendations there though. It is basically a camera or two mounted inside of a speed bump.

(1)
(1)
RC
Ryan Conway
Jan 27, 2017

I haven't installed these units but Comm-Port Technologies makes under vehicle video inspection systems.

(1)
MM
Michael Miller
Jan 27, 2017

Yes this is very popular with auto dealerships as they normally see a instant return on investment.   One dealer we did they had someone claim the dealer scratched the car the same day  we installed the cameras.  Needless to say we once the customer was told they where going to review the cameras the customer remembered his wife drove the car the night before and it might have happened then. 

As others said controlling the lighting is key to getting good results.  Our customers wanted to see scratches on the wheels which required additional cameras or very high resolution cameras.   We went with 3 Avigilon PRO cameras for complete 360 coverage of the cars when they are entering and leaving.  

(1)
(2)
AL
Alfredo Luciano
Jan 29, 2017

To clarify; the entrance to the service workshop area is totally at the outdoors, with no ceiling, and no walls. So, it seems to me that they have to construct an arch, to be able to install the cameras on it. With the structure it would allow the cameras to be about three feet away from the car.

I agree that we have to stop the car, that’s why I think it is a good idea to use one or two floor speed bumps in order  to reduce the speed of the vehicle.

Related to lighting, the system would only be in use during the day depending on there being is a lot of natural sun light. If the day is cloudy or rainy days the levels of illumination would be affected, in this case I would like recommendations. We understand that if we install spotlights, at that distance, the light and rain could reflect of the car and blind the camera.

What do you suggest?

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions