Subscriber Discussion

I Decided Not To Go To ISC West This Year Because I Can Browse The Exhibitors On Line And If Some One Looks Compelling I Can Then Get More Information

Mark Palka
Apr 08, 2019
IPVMU Certified

I have gone to ISC for the past 14 times in the last 20 years and what i find is that it is just too big - last year for the first time I used the app and it was very helpful but the actual exhibitors that wanted to see on the schedule i produced were a long ways from each other so i did a lot of walking which was good for exercise but time wise could have been condensed. 

I decided not to go this because i can browse the exhibitors on line and if some one looks compelling i can then get more information.

i would like to know how others feel about this and if they think ISC is worth it.  

NOTICE: This comment was moved from an existing discussion: The Hanwha Techwin Million Dollar ISC West Booth

(3)
JH
John Honovich
Apr 08, 2019
IPVM

Mark, thanks for sharing. I made this its own topic. 

There are certainly people in both camps, I am not sure if a discussion will provide statistical clarity but it is worth considering.

MM
Michael Miller
Apr 08, 2019

I have been going to ISC for the last 12 years.  Some door always opens so it as always been worth the trip. 

(3)
(2)
Sean Nelson
Apr 08, 2019
Nelly's Security

i dont blame you. I missed one year for the same exact reason. The only reason i go is quite honestly, its a nice little work vacation. I do meet up with all of our international vendors and look for the possibility of making a new vendor relationship but some trips I come away with really no added value that I couldnt have achieved online. Im a firm believer that nearly all business exchanges can be done online, mostly through email. 

(3)
(2)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Apr 08, 2019

I go for several reasons. I will meet customers from EU, Latin and AP all in one week.We have a private meeting area where we can set up in depth quality meetings. We also have the opportunity to co-market with partners.

(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Apr 08, 2019

I don't go to shows to learn about product, I go to shows to meet people. The product is mainly so we have something to talk about. 

(5)
(1)
Paul Grefenstette
Apr 09, 2019

I have been going to ISC West for 16 years and for me it's about meeting other guys/girls from around the country that do what I do and catching up with good friends from years past and looking for a few new products I think would help my clients.  I don't try and kill myself at the show like I use to walking for hours making sure I see each booth.  You have to tell yourself you know more about technology than most of the booth workers you run into as you are in the trenches daily but you will find a few diamonds in the rough and will learn a trick or a new way of thinking about a problem.  It's also nice for those who have been through a long winter to feel the sun on our pasty white skin.

Cheers! 

(2)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Apr 09, 2019

I have gone the last 10 years for:

Reconnecting with the relationships I have with manufacturer/distributor/integrator.

Networking.

Potential new solutions.

See, touch product updates from existing vendors.

Get a general feeling of current vendor outlook.

Look some snakes in the eye that go behind your back.

Find trolls that are tough only when online and put them in their place.

Huge foodie here and Vegas is top 3 in the country.

Rewind, Restore, Reset for the year and kick more ass selling solutions.

Once a year, face to face, face to product is invaluable to me.

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #4
Apr 09, 2019

Yeah, debated on going this year and passed on it all. Found it extremely annoying being asked by every vendor if I was going this year. Felt like they were being pushed by ISC to toss the name around to keep it alive. Biggest pet peeve is it seems around this time, every vendor showing at ISC is completely useless back at their office because all their attention and resources are focused on ISC.

I find no need to pack luggage, pay for hotel, fly out there and spend money when I can look at the list online and save all that money for a actual non-work personal vacation.

(1)
(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions