Subscriber Discussion

I Can View NVR Remotely But Not On Same Wifi?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Oct 31, 2016

I have a hik NVR that I have port forwarded and is viewable perfectly from a cell phone when over data but if I am connected to the onsite wifi, the connection fails. any idea what settings I need to change for this? 

Vincent Tong
Oct 31, 2016

You would need to use the internal IP address to view it. The external IP only works when not on the onsite wifi. It really determines on the modem/router and ISP to do loopbacks.

(1)
(1)
Brian Karas
Oct 31, 2016
IPVM

You need a router that supports "hairpinning" or NAT loopback.

I have not verified any of these, but found a list of tested routers.

(1)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Oct 31, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Yes. If you have a Dlink home router, there may be a page like this where you can set the endpoints to indepdendent:

BW
Brendon Welch
Oct 31, 2016

I am willing to bet you have a router with a 2.4/5G network. By default wired connections will use the 2.4g network. Newer devices may auto select the 5g network.

When this happens devices on the 5g network can't see 2.4g devices.

Try checking that.

(4)
David Johnson
Oct 31, 2016

It's the loopback issue on the modem/router. See it all the time - workaround is 2 entries on the device local + remote - local uses ip address - remote uses ddns.

U
Undisclosed #2
Oct 31, 2016
IPVMU Certified

...workaround is 2 entries on the device local + remote.

Or run local DNS.

JW
JP Wenger
Oct 31, 2016

Use LAN IP when at home, and WAN when away.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Nov 01, 2016

I will check on the router settings. It is a comcast product that we have seen many times but this is the first time experiencing the issue.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions