Subscriber Discussion

I Bet Marty Major Has A Lot Of Hard Drive Failures

Ari Erenthal
Sep 14, 2016
Chesapeake & Midlantic

An IT guy discovered that you could degrade hard drive performance by... screaming at them

Maybe IPVM can do a test and try and figure out if you can take down a management server by screaming at a NAS and setting off the aggression detector at the same time. We already know that the kill-a-camera-with-a-laser meme is plausible but unlikely

(1)
(9)
Jon Dillabaugh
Sep 14, 2016
Pro Focus LLC

Screaming also kills plants

Brian Rhodes
Sep 14, 2016
IPVMU Certified

I'm surprised his JBOD is that sensitive to vibrations. It might be time to up the chassis design game.

(3)
U
Undisclosed #1
Sep 14, 2016
IPVMU Certified

I Bet Marty Major Has a Lot Of Hard Drive Failures.

I Bet Marty Calhoun Has a Lot More...

(2)
(4)
SP
Sean Patton
Sep 14, 2016

You must not have ever had a "short phone call" with Marty Major...

(4)
(3)
MC
Marty Calhoun
May 26, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Thank you for the warm comment, I tend to use the Western Digital Black mostly, on occasion the purple, which ones do you prefer? I can remember one 'fail' out of at minimum, 20 boxes of drives this past year, so?

U
Undisclosed #1
May 26, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I can remember one 'fail' out of at minimum, 20 boxes of drives this past year, so?

So when I said you would have more drive failures than Marty Major, it wasn't because of differences in the drives.

Based on your free and frequent use of majuscules in your posting, I assumed likewise you would typically generate a higher amplitude sound wave than MM.

I have since learned first hand that this may not be the case, as I have had the distinct pleasure of experiencing the aforementioned sound waves being generated at close range.

So I imagine it would place rather high:

P.S. Be honest now, did you find this ancient thread searching for your name?  :)

RS
Robert Shih
May 27, 2017
Independent

Oops, didn't notice you were mentioned here. Ignore this post.

U
Undisclosed #1
Sep 14, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Either way its not a problem anymore.

Most hard drives these day come with embedded proactive temprature/shock and monitoring software, designed to alert on exactly these types of threats.

Its called S.M.A.R.T.Y. for "Screaming Marty"

(3)
Marty Major
Sep 23, 2016
Teledyne FLIR

How in the $#@! did I not see this string before now? :(

Seagate dropped Sam's 5 yr warranty to 2 years after seeing this:

(2)
U
Undisclosed #1
Sep 23, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Seagate dropped Sam's 5 yr warranty to 2 years after seeing this:

True. Though to their credit, shortly after Sam himself was sadly and unexpectedly EOL'd, they released a commemorative edition, the Seagate Screamer which was every bit as loud as Sam and then some.

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions