I Am Going To The Barnes Buchanan Security / Alarm Conference

JH
John Honovich
Jan 30, 2017
IPVM

I bought a ticket to the Barnes Buchanan conference. It is primarily a networking event for financiers and alarm industry execs (e.g., ADT CEO is speaking, maybe a 100 bankers and lawyers, Jeb Bush is the keynote, etc.)

My reason for going is our expansion into covering the intrusion / alarm business.

So:

• What do you what me to cover at the conference? Here is the agenda.
  • If you are going and want to meet up, let me know (john@ipvm.com).
  • If you have been and have advice, please let me know.
  • What questions do you want me to ask?
(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Feb 03, 2017

I would be interested in learning how many police departments are moving to the "no response to residential burglary alarms, unless verified" and how, if anything, is it impacting sales. 

2ndly, I would like to know if there has been an increase in alarm system hacking thanks to the many  features now available (i.e., IoT).

Finally, what is really new?  The alarm panels / alarm systems still seem to operate as they did 20 years ago (you get my drift)... I'm curious as to any new concepts. 

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Feb 03, 2017
IPVM

#1, good feedback.

I'll definitely check on police department / verification, hacking and new concepts. Thanks for mentioning them.

I plan one or a few reports with feedback from the conference.

MC
Marty Calhoun
Feb 03, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Jeb Bush? Bring a pillow with you....

(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Feb 04, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Bring a pillow with you....

Thoughtfully provided underneath every chair.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #3
Feb 04, 2017

Below question might be a bit left handed or vague, however it is a question. Perhaps only observation feedback is needed and not direct questions fired at the court jesters.

Q: Will IoT integrations/hardware be allowed to interface with Alarm Industry hardware or services? Looking at the future who owns the residential market? PnP devices, ISP providers or legacy monolithic behemoth monitoring stations such as ADT?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #4
Feb 05, 2017

I think the answer to this is that no one owns the market and it becomes even more fragmented. The problem with the smart home / iot stuff is that customers have way more solutions now at super low price points far below what the market can support for integrators and their overhead. If I have a problem or am worried about X why don't I try one of the hundreds of options out there currently for plug in cameras on the market. For 90% of people out there this will solve their problem or at least give them the false sense of security that they are safe/connected to their home. Thus it's going to be an issue of fragmentation even on the manufacturer side until several players wash out. This really isn't a market that is going to have a winner take all or 1-3 players like computer OS's / cell phones. 

I do believe if anything, the rapid growth of start ups like Nest and simpli-safe pretty much signals that consumers aren't really beholden to the old monoliths anymore and will abandon them pretty quick. I think the two biggest threats competing away the market right now in residential is/are Alarm.com and simpli-safe. I haven't found the home automation to be a huge lead in, in our market for mid range/lower houses. The customers willing to drop 200k for a custom crestron system haven't changed, but the fat and easy money in the mid/lower segment are gone due to fragmentation/competition.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Feb 05, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I bought a ticket to the Barnes Buchanan conference.

Ouch!

Hopefully the price goes toward the cost of your first deal :)

JH
John Honovich
Feb 05, 2017
IPVM

Ouch!

That's right. It's one pallet full of Hikvision cameras.

Have you checked the room prices at The Breakers? $600 per night.

Morale of the story: It's evidently good to be in the alarm business.

U
Undisclosed #2
Feb 07, 2017
IPVMU Certified

That's right. It's one pallet full of Hikvision cameras.

That means by next year I should be able to afford it...

U
Undisclosed
Feb 05, 2017

Ask them why https://www.barnesbuchanan.com/ points to a placeholder page from their ISP.  I know, it's only a burglar alarm conference, nobody thinks about security. Except in that pesky first agenda item with "cyber" in it's title.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #5
Feb 05, 2017

Steve Beck
Feb 08, 2017

You are taking your first step into a much larger world 

It looks to be more residential market focused maybe? I didn't see Bosch or DMP listed from last year's attendees. You will prolly the phase "If we can get 1% of the market to buy and alarm system that integrates into their smarthome, we will make 5 billion more dollars". Also be prepared to hear complains from the national accounts about the average monthly fee dropping due to the expansion of DIY internet kits. 

JH
John Honovich
Feb 09, 2017
IPVM

Here's Jeb opening video:

The speech is not about the industry but general political challenges.

(2)
Jon Dillabaugh
Feb 10, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

Wow I count a few zingers in there! Go Jeb!

U
Undisclosed #2
Feb 12, 2017
IPVMU Certified

So, was it worth it?

JH
John Honovich
Feb 12, 2017
IPVM

was it worth it?

Yes, it was a very good way to get lots of information on the alarm business direct from senior players in the space, both from the presenters and the numerous senior people in attendance.

I will be doing a series of posts this week covering different aspects of it.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions