Subscriber Discussion

How Would You Put A Wired Contact On A Door That Is In A Rolling Door:

DM
David Matyas
Feb 24, 2016

How would you put a wired contact on a door that is in a rolling door:

The rolling door itself is easy but how does the wire not get tangled for going up and down?

Thanks

Brian Rhodes
Feb 24, 2016
IPVMU Certified

You cannot use wireless here?

DM
David Matyas
Feb 24, 2016

The customer does not want to have to remember to change batteries

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #5
Feb 25, 2016

Customer doesn't have to remember. The alarm panel can alert on a low battery.

Inovonics works pretty good.

http://www.inovonics.com/products/commercial-security/

(2)
(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #6
May 22, 2020

I haven't changed a battery in one of my Honeywell wireless door contacts in over seven years.

(1)
DW
David Westberry
Feb 24, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Contact the middle door and use something like this:

https://www.security.honeywell.com/hsc/products/intruder-detection-systems/sensor/accessories/door-cord/21772.html

Or wireless.

DM
David Matyas
Feb 24, 2016

Interesting, how does it automatically reconnect itself

(1)
DW
David Westberry
Feb 24, 2016
IPVMU Certified

It doesn't. I am not aware of anything that does or would make this application hands off.

(1)
(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Feb 24, 2016

Shoot a photocell across the opening.

(3)
(3)
(1)
Ethan Ace
Feb 24, 2016

That's actually an interesting idea. If you mount it just past the track, you could shoot an IR beam across there fairly easily. It's not as immediate a notification as the door opening (unless the door breaks the beam), but catching someone entering is the main point, no?

(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Feb 24, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Like a residential garage door safety stop?

(1)
Brian Rhodes
Feb 24, 2016
IPVMU Certified

This is a good, creative idea.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Feb 25, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Since the door opens out, shoot across the door at the top, aiming at the door closer. Alarm when the beam connects.

(1)
dk
douglas kelly
May 22, 2020

or bounce beam off a reflector mounted on the inside of the door.

(1)
DM
David Matyas
Feb 24, 2016

His main concern is that people are leaving the door open. And the door opens outward so that wont help.

Thanks

(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Feb 24, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Can you use something like

Sentrol Curtain Door Magnetic Contact

(1)
DM
David Matyas
Feb 24, 2016

That would be for the roller door not the inner one

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Feb 24, 2016

Simple Idea I used recently,

Judging from the picture it looks like a door that just goes up and down (not much inward tilt)

Get the contact mounted then run your wire to the center and up to the top of the rollup door, then run a piece of coiled wire straight to the trusses. (you might need to add a piece of kindorf if you're not right below a truss)

(1)
DM
David Matyas
Feb 25, 2016

Unfortunately the door does go in not just straight up and down

(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Feb 24, 2016
IPVMU Certified

How about using a set of these Magnum Shooters, one on the rolling door and one on the rolling door frame, to energize the reed contacts on the inner door:

(1)
Michael Silva
Feb 24, 2016
Silva Consultants

Back in the old days, we used to do this sort of thing all the time. We would install window foil on the glass in overhead doors and then connect it using either a long coil cord or a disconnecting door cord . If there was a door within the overhead door, the contact switch would be connected in the same way.

Both options have their problems, but if I had to choose, I would probably use the disconnecting door cord. It will automatically pull apart if someone forgets to manually disconnect and opens the door, but if this happens too often, the cord will eventually wear out and gave to be replaced.

I would personally stay away from using something like the Magnum Shooters on an overhead door. Most doors of this type are sloppy and I think it would be difficult to get a consistent alignment of the contact points.

U
Undisclosed #2
Feb 25, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Most doors of this type are sloppy and I think it would be difficult to get a consistent alignment of the contact points.

I agree that would be the problem. If you were to use the frame as common and two 4-pin shooters for the positive, all shorted, I wonder if that would increase the contact leeway much.

Anyway, I've never used them, so I would defer to you.

btw, why do you prefer the disconnect cord over the coiled cord?

(1)
Michael Silva
Feb 25, 2016
Silva Consultants

The biggest problem I have seen with coiled cords is that they tend to get tangled in the tracks of the door and get pinched by the rollers. As Undisclosed 3 said, this door looks like it goes pretty much straight up, so tangling could be less of an issue here.

DM
David Matyas
Feb 25, 2016

Unfortunately the door does go in not just straight up and down

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #4
Feb 25, 2016

thousands and thousands of thick coil cord used for many years. As for wireless, the batteries loosen when jarred a lot. Pull cords are used for fire OS/Y tampers as well, but only pulled a few times a year for testing.

UI
Feb 25, 2016

We did the coiled cord with strain relief all the time. Pull cords are good if the overhead is rarely opened. They do wear.

(1)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Feb 25, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Ok, last suggestion.

What about using something like Assa Abloy's ICPT inductive power transfer module to power a wireless sensor (without batteries):

Doesn't need to touch, though still needs to be with 1/4 inch.

Wireless Door Power (Securitron ICPT)

(1)
(1)
John Bazyk
Feb 25, 2016
Command Corporation • IPVMU Certified

Use a curtain motion from Visonic CH1D, we've used them for a while now. And lots of them. Mostly in-front of sliding doors that are prone to have door contacts broken. Almost any door contact you put on this is going to fail.

Mark Jones
Feb 25, 2016

I would use an GRI 8297 gate kit to mount to the door track. Mount one set of contacts to the garage door, up and down. The other set to the man-door. Hook them up in series. If either door opens, you will get a notification. If the garage door opens, you will get a notification for both doors. If the garage door is down and the man-door opens, you will only get a man-door notification. Without using wireless, I don't think you are going to get all the way home.

U
Undisclosed #2
Feb 25, 2016
IPVMU Certified

This seems a great solution.

Sensors in series.

Mark Jones
Feb 25, 2016

Seems great, won't work. When you draw it out, there is a missing piece.

Michael Silva
Feb 25, 2016
Silva Consultants

Not sure what you are saying here. Do you not still need some method of getting wiring to the contact on the man-door?

(1)
UI
Feb 25, 2016

So, the coiled cord connects to the top of the rolling door, connecting it to the roof typically. It's important that the cord is clear of obstacles. You run wires from the top of the door to a door contact for the inside door. A traditional OHD contact is run for the roll-up and I have seen people put the OHD contact on the rolling door, but most run it separate. When installed right, with some strain relief it lasts forever. I've seen cords that were installed in warehouses in the 50's.

U
Undisclosed #7
May 24, 2020

Check out the suntan lines at the end

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions