Subscriber Discussion

How Would You Adjust This Camera For Capturing License Plates?

JH
Jay Hobdy
Aug 12, 2017
IPVMU Certified

This is at factory defaults. Normally we would increase shutter speed a little but I can not get exposure control to manual on these cameras. Not sure which other option I need to enable to turn on manual exposure.

I am trying to get a little more contrast on the 1st plate but wonder what will happen with the 2nd plate.

Any suggestions?

U
Undisclosed #1
Aug 12, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Normally we would increase shutter speed a little but I can not get exposure control to manual on these cameras. Not sure which other option I need to enable to turn on manual exposure.

(1)
DG
Dave Gale
Sep 17, 2020

IPVM Image

Where did this manual snippet come from? The manual that came with my O2lpr67 has no information on the settings in the camera web interface.

JH
Jay Hobdy
Aug 12, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I put white balance in manual mode, same thing

U
Undisclosed #1
Aug 12, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Which camera is it Speco-cifically?

(2)
JH
Jay Hobdy
Aug 12, 2017
IPVMU Certified

O2LPR67 

Speco-cifically

That was funny

JH
Jay Hobdy
Aug 12, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Here is another location.

Not liking these Specos and we stopped buying them. The other issue we have is we changed them to MJPEG 4 FPS to meet Milestones LPR requirements and I swear these cameras keep jumping back to 30 FPS MJPEG. So needless to say things are a bit jumpy on some footage

(1)
MC
Marty Calhoun
Aug 12, 2017
IPVMU Certified

No adjustment possible with SPECO. Dump it get a real camera,consider replacing with the Light-Fighter from the nice folks over at Hikvision, I had a similar situation and that camera worked like a charm. Of course I will be hammered for saying that all because some narrow-minded folks hate hikvision even if it is the best product so ignore silly posts that have no merit. Go with Hik-Always.

(2)
(6)
(2)
JH
John Honovich
Aug 12, 2017
IPVM

No adjustment possible with SPECO

Marty, there are clearly adjustments possible. The configuration screen shows that. I do not know enough about this camera to know if the adjustments available are enough but it is not fair to say 'no adjustment possible.'

Of course I will be hammered for saying that all because some narrow-minded folks hate hikvision even if it is the best product so ignore silly posts that have no merit. Go with Hik-Always.

I am not going to hammer you for that. I find it 50% funny, 50% sad but 0% hammering. And you are welcome to say what you want on IPVM anytime.

(5)
U
Undisclosed #1
Aug 12, 2017
IPVMU Certified

...with the Light-Fighter from the nice folks over at Hikvision...

Their Dark-Fighters are nice cameras also.  

Do you think Hik will ever make a single camera that can fight the Dark and the Light at the same time?

(10)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Aug 12, 2017

Move the car to the same angle?

(1)
JH
Jay Hobdy
Aug 12, 2017
IPVMU Certified

One issue we have is due to existing poles, etc, we have had to put tag cameras on the entry side of the driveway, and in some instances, we have had to do a lot of aiming to get the right angle for Milestone.

In some of these communities, the driveways are narrow so people tend to ride the middle, then hug the right when a car comes from the opposite direction. 

But I was referring more to the lighting issue than the angle

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Aug 12, 2017

Well, I was actually kidding about the angle.  

I don't work for Digital Watchdog but I have had good luck at sites with their inexpensive LPR55 cameras attached to our HD Analog recorders for entrance/exit gates.  

Obviously a 15' or less FOV and less than 20 degree angle is assumed. 

(1)
UD
Undisclosed Distributor #3
Aug 21, 2017

Did you try before to disable first

DC-iris

and

SlowShuter?

Maybe after that manual Exposure Control will become available as well as Shutter Speed Control.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #4
Aug 21, 2017

Camera needs to be zoomed in and then moved to look up the road more. In other words reduce the angle. You will also give the system more chance to read the plate. 

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions