Subscriber Discussion

How Would You Access These ~30' High Cameras For Service?

JH
Jay Hobdy
Dec 20, 2016
IPVMU Certified

We have a debate on whether we should use a lift or extension ladder.

My argument is that once we lean the ladder on the building, we have to reach back to access the cameras.

FYI we did NOT put these in.

JH
Jay Hobdy
Dec 20, 2016
IPVMU Certified

right corner off eave

Brian Rhodes
Dec 20, 2016
IPVMU Certified

My vote: 50' articulating boom lift.  Park it on the pavement, use the lift to raise basket above the landscaping and soggy ground.

(6)
KL
Keefe Lovgren
Dec 21, 2016
IPVMU Certified

agree... ladder would not be advisable, too dangerous... sure you may be able to get that high, but being able to work comfortably is another issue...

(1)
Vincent Tong
Dec 20, 2016

Ladder

(17)
Ari Erenthal
Dec 21, 2016

I had to vote 'funny' because we forgot to add a 'horrifying' button.

(3)
(2)
U
Undisclosed #1
Dec 21, 2016
IPVMU Certified

(9)
JH
Jay Hobdy
Dec 21, 2016
IPVMU Certified

OK the go go gadget helicopter is funny... I appreciate the time to photoshop that in... lol 

But seriously would you tell the the client the service call just went up $500 because you are not sending a tech up the ladder and you have to rent a boom lift?

Brian Rhodes
Dec 21, 2016
IPVMU Certified

$500 seems steep for a lift rental, but having a tech fall off of a ladder would cost more.

(2)
U
Undisclosed #1
Dec 21, 2016
IPVMU Certified

If you throw the ladder fly out, do you think you will have to reach back?

Ari Erenthal
Dec 21, 2016

Going to be hard to get a ladder on there. In order to get the proper angle, you're going to be right on the curb, which will make the ladder slip, which, presumably, is why the OP is posting for advice. 

U
Undisclosed #1
Dec 21, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Yes, I agree, hard.

Though, I was specifically referring to this statement:

My argument is that once we lean the ladder on the building, we have to reach back to access the cameras.

Ari Erenthal
Dec 21, 2016

Yes. If you throw the ladder so that it lands on a stable surface, you'll be juuuust out of arm's length. If you throw the ladder so that it lands where it needs to be to reach the camera, it'll be at the very edge of the curb. This service call is a worker's comp claim waiting to happen. 

(4)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Dec 21, 2016

The lift charge, including delivery and removal seems about fair.  Some dealers own bucket trucks for this purpose.  It makes them more competitive. 

Of course, this would be a good time to offer cleaning and testing of the other cameras to spread out the cost of the lift 

JH
Jay Hobdy
Dec 21, 2016
IPVMU Certified

$706 for a 40' boom lift for one day with pick up and delivery.

Luckily I have family that works for a facility that also rents equipment and we are getting a better rate.

We will be out to troubleshoot in the next couple days and if we have to get to the cameras, then we will be getting a lift.

Not looking to see how good our workers comp is....

(1)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Dec 22, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Jay, just a thought...

Why are the cameras up so high to begin with?

Are they used to capture the other units across the street?

Even so they look abnormally high; maybe this was for aesthetics?

Since you have the lift, are you considering hanging them a floor lower, which would get you better angles on people and plates, and make it ladder accessible for next time?

(1)
(1)
JH
Jay Hobdy
Dec 22, 2016
IPVMU Certified

I have no idea, we did not install them. This is the closest I got. I assume there is a box with a switch somewhere up in the attic or top floor closet. We would have run conduit down and mounted the camera 15' feet off the ground.

Do not laugh but these are Ubiquiti 1080P cameras. More than likely they have lost all detail in that 30'

I briefly mentioned this and suggested relocating them but that did not seem too appealing to them. We would have to pull new cable, run conduit etc.

Multi-family clients are not big spenders....

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Dec 22, 2016
IPVMU Certified

This is the closest I got.

Maybe this one got bumped.  

I briefly mentioned this and suggested relocating them but that did not seem too appealing to them. We would have to pull new cable, run conduit etc.

Multi-family clients are not big spenders....

I can imagine thats true.  You think they're ok with $1000+ service call?

JH
Jay Hobdy
Dec 29, 2018
IPVMU Certified

I was doing a search for Multi-Family and came across this so I figured I would provide the outcome.

This client has turned out to be a very good client for us, and they listen to us. When I say, hey I'm not putting my tech up there, they listen.

We wound up renting a lift and lowering all the cameras on the property to a serviceable height. Then they sold the property...

(5)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions