Subscriber Discussion

How To Use The AXIS T8415

Val Ramirez
Jul 20, 2016
IPVMU Certified

I just received our new AXIS T8415. Is there a tutorial that shows how to use with multiple camera brands (AXIS, Samsung, ACTi, Arecont and Vivotek)? Is there one viewer for all cameras? Is there any training for troubleshooting IP cameras on the network? Thanks, Val

Brian Rhodes
Jul 20, 2016
IPVMU Certified

The T8415 spec sheet claims discovery of ONVIF devices using common Web Services Discovery, but it redirects to the individual device's home page for configuration.

What sort of troubleshooting do you need?

Val Ramirez
Jul 20, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Brian,

We have 500 plus cameras on our campus. A majority are Samsung cameras plus the other brands mentioned above. I was looking for a tool that would help me troubleshoot cameras as they go down on the network and to help me setup before deploying. I have a few cameras on hand that were replaced but still functional. I tried connecting to an ACTi and a vivotek but could not figure it out. That's why I was looking for tutorial or training for it. The integrators recommended the AXIS T8415. Thanks

Jon Dillabaugh
Jul 20, 2016
Pro Focus LLC

Are you having issues connecting just the cameras, or also the smartphone?

Val Ramirez
Jul 20, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Jon,

I can connect the camera and see that it has power. I can also connect my smartphone, iPad and laptop wirelessly. The issue then is getting the right application or utility to see and configure the camera. I thought there would be a universal utility or application for the different cameras we have. Thanks

Jon Dillabaugh
Jul 20, 2016
Pro Focus LLC

And you have the Axis Installation Tool App installed and it can find the T8415?

If so, you should now be able to select a camera from the "1 Camera List" and enter credentials if needed.

Jon Dillabaugh
Jul 20, 2016
Pro Focus LLC

I also just read the datasheet again, and it never really says it support third party units. Here is a snippet from the datasheet:

Supported protocols: Axis products using Bonjour and ONVIF compatible products using WS-Discovery

John Scanlan
Jul 20, 2016
IPVM • IPVMU Certified

Their tech support stated that you will be able to view the stream from other ONVIF conformant cameras, but any configuration will need to be done via that products own web interface.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Jul 22, 2016

I was told that the device merely supplies power and a network connection. It is, essentially, a dumb device, as the AXIS mobile app is used for device IP assignment and config of AXIS ONLY cameras. Therefore, the "best universal" app is going to be the ONVIF Device Manager via PC, in my opinion.

Val Ramirez
Jul 25, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Thank you all for your responses. It looks like managing multiple brands will not be easy. This was a recommendation from our integrator. I was actually looking at IPC 8600. I probably should have bought that device. Thanks!

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions