Subscriber Discussion

How To Run CAT5 Over 1000'? Coupler?

JH
Jay Hobdy
Jul 24, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Veracity has the long-span line of POE extenders which get well over a 1000'.I have never seen CAT5 boxes over a 1000'

Just use couplers?

MM
Michael Miller
Jul 25, 2018

There are suppliers that will get you spools over 1000'.  Though I would use fiber over this solution. 

Sean Patton
Jul 25, 2018

While I agree with Michael regarding the use of fiber vs copper at these distances, I used to drive around with a 2000' spool on my truck when I worked for the telephone company, cutting off 50-100' lengths replacing old copper drops from the street to house:

Google Search 2000' Spool Cat 6

The advantage to copper could be lower cost, but last I checked single pair bulk multimode was getting pretty close or even cheaper depending on the installation location (plenum vs non, riser vs aerial vs burial, etc). Also, potentially the tech having more experience terminating the end, however even fiber has become relatively easy to terminate with Unicam-type crimp connector tools. Someone once posted here:

I would recommend AFL and their FASTConnect solution. We have several hundred FASTConnect ends installed without issue no fusion splicer needed.

JH
Jay Hobdy
Jul 25, 2018
IPVMU Certified

not sure about power availability at the other end.

It's a very unique situation. The camera is going into the head/vessel of a 36" underground drill bit. I wanted to use CAT5/CAT6 as a spool of armored fiber would be huge and they would have to spool it out as the drill moved forward.

We also thought about using an HD camera as the requirement isn't much but felt an IP camera, with injector and laptop, was easier to manage than a DVR and monitor.

MM
Michael Miller
Jul 25, 2018

If it is for live viewing only I would go with an HD analog camera directly to an HD analog monitor. 

JH
Jay Hobdy
Jul 25, 2018
IPVMU Certified

I still have to couple/splice the coax cable?

MM
Michael Miller
Jul 25, 2018

Find a supplier that will sell you the length you need.  No splice needed. 

U
Undisclosed #1
Jul 25, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Finally a better use for the ez mid-crimp ;)

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Jul 25, 2018

If the cable is constantly being spooled you may need something more durable than a standard cat5 cable. Something similar to what is used in an elevator travel cable.  

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions