How To Do Mobile Credentials On Any Access System

Brian Rhodes
Aug 28, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Members often want to know how exactly to deploy mobile/ cellphone credentials in a particular system, and what equipment or phones are needed to support it.

Here's one method.  Users are surprised to learn it requires replacing no readers, no access panels, and even works with previously issued cards:

Furthermore, this method overcomes fundamental issues with NFC or BLE based credentials, as it does not require any change in operational management of credentials, special apps on the phone, or battery power on the device.

Granted the 'wallet case' method isn't without risk - inserted cards can be stolen/lost, the case damaged, or user may hate the increase (slight) thickness it requires.  Also, cases may not be available for every phone model. But compared to the cost replacing readers at hundreds of dollars per door, replacing a cell phone case is much cheaper ($35 or less).

(1)
(1)
(3)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Aug 28, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Curious, what is the limitation in smart phones to actually transmit weigand data like a rfid tag?

Is it just that a cellphone doesn't have a 125khz transmitter?

What about mifare then. Cell phones often have 4 or so radios in them, but I'm guessing nothing at the frequency needed. Or is there another reason?

(1)
MC
Marty Calhoun
Aug 28, 2016
IPVMU Certified

(1)
JE
Jim Elder
Aug 28, 2016
IPVMU Certified

13.45 MHz Near Field Communications (NFC) and Bluetooth Smart at 2.24GHz are the "real" mobile credentials. NFC on I-Phones cannot yet be used for this purpose, hence the move to Bluetooth. The credential on-boarding process uses a virtual "box of cards" ($6.50 ea or more) that the phone owner downloads into the phone by linking from an email sent to him by the access control system. You can also add a selfie picture so you can have a photo ID (on your phone).

Unlike Brian's version, there is no hiding of the card in the phone as it uses the radios already in the mobile device. There is also an up-charge of about $160 to make the reader compatible with the card. Also, how about just sticking a credential under any case? I tried it with a standard prox card and it seems to work (read range is a not great).

This is the coming thing and when i saw it at ASIS last year I immediately changed my spec to include readers that would read legacy prox, Bluetooth and NFC.

Beauty for integrators is that the service can be sold so they can benefit from a continuing revenue stream.

I would like to hear what others say on the issue.

(1)
(2)
Campbell Chang
Aug 29, 2016

This is simple reader replacement.

Brian Rhodes
Aug 29, 2016
IPVMU Certified

We profile the patents behind this here: HID's Gesture Credentials Patents

Brian Rhodes
Aug 29, 2016
IPVMU Certified

One big barrier to widespread adoption (and there are several) is that user willingness to purchase/replace readers is ultra low.

They might want mobile, but they want to avoid spending money replacing readers even more.

Jim mentioned he is specifying these readers on new projects, and that makes sense. But I routinely see readers that are 10 - 15 years old in everyday use and show no signs of giving up.

Waiting for replacement due to reader turnover is a ultra-long window for mobile to gain momentum in the market.

(1)
JE
Jim Elder
Jun 27, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Brian. I would agree that customers may reluctant to replace existing readers; and prox readers will last forever (basically a coil and a chip mounted in a block of plastic). But if your customer can cut his consumables down and rid (or at least nearly rid) himself of the card management process, its a win-win.  May not be  everyone's cup of tea, but some clients are well suited to this product. Lets take a medium size university with say... 30000 students who need  a credential for everything on campus (not just residence hall access); or a corporate client with multiple offices located in other cities around the country.  Now,  if you can require the credential holder to pay for the credential (or at least replacements if the holder manages to loose his phone), the ROI becomes more relevant.  

You also don't necessarily need to all readers at the same time.  HID makes a reader that will read most all cards and cards with multiple technologies, thus allowing you to make the conversion over time. 

Daniel Gelinas
Jun 23, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I'm wondering if there's any mobile credential out there that works with traditional readers (HID, say), works with both iOS and Android and isn't too expensive and doesn't have  recurring fee structure. Kantech has GO Pass, but it only works with iPhone. HID has Twist & Go, but it seems really expensive. I have a small prospect who wants to do 3 doors, but doesn't want to do hard credentials because he'll have a large and frequently changing free-lance staff and he doesn't want to have to try and get the cards/fobs back. Any suggestions to research are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

JE
Jim Elder
Jun 27, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Seems to me the HID solution is perfect for this application. There is no added software, hardware or labor, and the client can manage his own credential; or you  can buy the 100 credentials manage the process. Your cost is around $1000.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Jun 27, 2017

Another option to the 'wallet case', a phonetag.

Would be interesting to know if the different types of cards that can be stored in the wallet, including 125kHz proximity and 13.56MHz contactless smartcard or iClass, interfere with the smart phone's NFC or BLE functionality? 

Advantage here is that with this phonetag the NFC and BLE of the smart phone continue to function normally.  Hello Apple Pay!

(1)
(1)
Ethan Ace
Jun 27, 2017

I can tell you from my own use that 13.56MHz cards/tags tags won't read if they're right next to an iPhone. "Swiping" the phone on a reader pops up Apple Pay. I'm assuming there's probably a way to use a case which blocks RFID coupled with a tag/card on the outside, but I haven't tried it. 

CH
Chris Hammond
Jun 27, 2017

This is suppose to be sarcasm right? Like an article on The Onion.

Brian Rhodes
Jun 27, 2017
IPVMU Certified

It's a discussion, not an article.  What makes you think this is satire?

CH
Chris Hammond
Jun 27, 2017

Sorry, I had a hard time taking this seriously because this is not mobile access at all. It is card access. With a card. In a case. It's like saying that if I hold my card in my hand and wave my hand at the reader it is biometrics (like MorphoWave).

I honestly hope that nobody truly tries to market such a thing as mobile access because it would be irresponsible in my opinion.

One of the most common inquiries I receive today centers around getting rid of card(s) and using a smartphone. The expectation being that people already have them, don't usually forget them and; are less costly and more secure than cards. Of course, the realities don't quite meet the expectations. I welcome the discussion of pros and cons for real mobile access. 

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions