Subscriber Discussion

How Much Should A 290 Camera Maintenance Contract Cost?

Brian Karas
Nov 08, 2016
IPVM

The city of Wilkes-Barre collected bids for a service contract for a 290 camera system installed in 2010. They are trying to see if they can get a better deal than their current $25,000 annual contract, which comes out to $86 per camera.

$25,000 seems like a fair deal, but I have not written a service contract for a large municipal system.

Would you bid on this contract? What would you charge and what would it cover (or exclude)?

MM
Michael Miller
Nov 08, 2016

I would be interested to review the RFP if you have it. I am familiar with the area and it's hard for outside contractors to compete because local labor rates.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Nov 08, 2016

I think you hit it on the head. What does it include? Annual physical review of each camera? Review of each video feed for view and recording? Maintenance on call with. 2 hour response? That could be expensive if all it guarantees is an open PO for service or really cheap if it warranties multiple communications methods on an aging system in a prevailing wage area with mandatory physical inspections.

Matthew Netardus
Nov 09, 2016
IPVMU Certified

The biggest thing going forward would be the additional expense of repairing all the cameras that are currently down. That may be a big enough issue that it needs to be done as a separate RFP prior to them issuing a maintenance contract RFP.

Brian Karas
Nov 09, 2016
IPVM

That is a good point, I think many times service contracts are based on 99% of the equipment already being functional and stable. They might spend $25,000 just fixing what is currently broken if it involves bucket trucks and lifts.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions