Subscriber Discussion

How Much Does A Night Security Guard At A Job Site Cost?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jan 03, 2017

We are looking at a bid where there is a requirement to keep the card access and intrusion detection systems active during a replacement of both systems.  Because the wiring must be run in conduit, and it is permitted to re-use existing conduit and wiring if it is sound, it is tempting to re-use as much as possible.  However, the locations of the new controllers/panels and the new field devices (motion sensors, door contacts, card, readers, etc.) will require that the old panels/controllers be removed more than one door/device at a time, thus the likelihood that the building may not be secure at night from time to time during the reno.

The spec says that manned guard services must be provided during any time the building is not occupied during the reno, which likely means from 5 pm-ish to 6 am-ish every day that the security systems are not totally functional.

Never had to do this before and not going to sleep in the building ... does anyone have input as to what to budget for each day/night of security watch services (assuming one guard per day)?

Thanks in advance

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Jan 03, 2017

What city/metro is this in?  The prices vary somewhat.

UI
Jan 03, 2017

This is Baltimore/Washington metro area.

Thanks

JE
Jim Elder
Jan 03, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Call G4S or some other national company. I used $30 per hour, but that figure may not fit your location. There are a lot of issues with YOU providing the security guard. At the top of the list is that YOU are taking responsibility for the Owner's property. Second,  the officer  must be licensed to do this kind of work (hiring your brother-in-law may not be the best choice); and 3rd, make sure your insurance covers you. The standard limits of liability may not apply to you furnishing a security officer.  

I have required this on a number of my client sites, but I review the integrator's choices via the submittal process to protect both the owner and the Integrator.  If you can, I would segregate the cost in your bid; or make it an exception to the bid by saying if you want security guards it will cost you $xxxx extra dollars. Either way, it will make a nice target for a cost reduction as the owner can do that himself and save the exorbitant markup required for you to do it. 

(1)
(2)
Brian Karas
Jan 04, 2017
IPVM

An unarmed guard is typically around $15/hr. (that is the end-user rate) for a long-term contract, like an annual setup. For a temporary scenario like you describe, $18-$20/hr may be more realistic, since you are not signing a long-term contract you may have to pay a premium for "spot" service. 

You may have better luck with a smaller/local firm. Call around to some gated communities (if there are any) and ask who they use (or drive up to the gates and look for logos/patches).

(1)
UI
Jan 04, 2017

Thanks Jim and Brian  ..  helpful feedback

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions