How Much Did This Avigilon ISC West Advertisement Cost?

JH
John Honovich
Apr 14, 2017
IPVM

Take a look:

We found the actual pricing from the ISC West exhibitor options but curious what people guess / assume.

Vote:

Robert Beachler
Apr 14, 2017

Such a tease John....

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Apr 15, 2017
IPVMU Certified

How much depends on whether this is one of those fancy auto day/night panel switching signs they used to use back in the heyday:

Pricey.

(1)
(1)
(3)
(10)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #5
Apr 18, 2017

Holy cow, this made me spit out my coffee!!!  So funny!!!!

(1)
(1)
(2)
(3)
U
Undisclosed #2
Apr 18, 2017

3 avigilon dealers found it unhelpful.

2 of them found the coffee stains on your keyboard unhelpful.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Apr 16, 2017

I voted $45K

U
Undisclosed #2
Apr 16, 2017

1:  if it was anything less than $25K John wouldn't have bothered to post this string. (no votes at all for $2500 seems to follow this logic)

2:  i dismissed the highest number as the opposite outlier - the structural design of the poll (guess how much) would lead takers to feel as if they were being lead to choose the highest number, so they won't (as indicative - at least at the moment - by it having the lowest number of votes, excluding none for $2500) - not known before voting, of course.

3:  $25k feels like it's just a median option to me - in relation to the other choices.  So it's gone.

I'm right aren't I?  ;)

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Apr 16, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I would agree for different reasons.

Typically, ads are based on the number of panels x the per panel rate.

John, naturally looking for a plausible, semi-truthful number would likely include the per panel cost as one of the low-ball numbers.  Since there are ten panels, that leaves only $2500 and $4500 as possible per panel prices.

And therefore that leaves either $25000 or $45000 as the total price.

I split my wager between them equally...

U
Undisclosed #1
Apr 16, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I'm right aren't I?

Tedor awards you 

(2)
U
Undisclosed #3
Apr 16, 2017

The real question is...who cares?

Those numbers are all rounding errors for Avigilon, and for most major VMS companies. Further, if Appearance Search works anywhere near as well as they tout that it does, it makes total sense to get it in front of as many people as possible. It's a massive game changer. 

(3)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Apr 16, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Those numbers are all rounding errors for Avigilon...

Are they though?

Avigilon's marketing budget for the *entire year* in 2016 was 5.5 million.

Meaning that a $54,000 sign at one show would be 1% of the total spent that year. 

Note that a 54,000 expense survives rounding in this statement...

(1)
U
Undisclosed #3
Apr 16, 2017

You actually proved my point for me exceedingly well.

1% of their overall marketing budget, for what I would consider a fairly impactful ad, at the biggest security show of the year.

Where else is Avigilon going to have a more captive audience and the ability to reach end users like they did at ISC? Did you see their booth? It was packed to the brim every time I walked by it.

(2)
JH
John Honovich
Apr 16, 2017
IPVM

It was packed to the brim every time I walked by it.

Agreed. However, I disagree that the ad had any impact on booth traffic.

Avigilon is an important company with lots of partners and new releases. They could have no ads and I bet the booth would be packed. Of course, there's no way either of us can prove that as it's impossible for us to test.

I would consider a fairly impactful ad

Really? I never noticed it as I was walking back and forth from the Venetian at least a half dozen times. I only saw it because Ari took a photo of every ad near the show for our coverage.

That hallway between the Venetian and the Sands is generally busy so other people are effectively blocking the view plus people are moving pretty swiftly so I am skeptical of how many are seeing an ad that is mounted perpendicular to traffic.

Related, the ad that I thought was the most visible was the big Dahua one right above people as they walked in.

U
Undisclosed #1
Apr 16, 2017
IPVMU Certified

You actually proved my point for me exceedingly well.

Nice try but your actual point was

Those numbers are all rounding errors for Avigilon.

Which both literally and figuratively they are not.

Now if you want to argue that spending 1% of total budget on the one sign (seen by people likely to come to your booth anyway) is worth it because the sign is so impactful, that would be a different argument.

(3)
U
Undisclosed #3
Apr 16, 2017

You can choose to pick nits if it makes you feel better, but Avigilon had gross revenues of $353.6M in FY2016. A $54,000 expenditure is .0152% of their total revenues, or probably less than they spent on coffee at their headquarters for the same period of time. I'll stand by the spirit of my original statement, which is that it is an inconsequential amount of money for Avigilon to spend on marketing, and that this isn't really a story that is worthy of it's own thread by IPVM.

U
Undisclosed #1
Apr 16, 2017
IPVMU Certified

...but Avigilon had gross revenues of $353.6M in FY2016. A $54,000 expenditure is .0152% of their total revenues...

Expenses comes right off the bottom line, so measuring against net income (for a profitable, established company) is a better way to view impact.

Net income was $7,190,000 FY 2016.  

In other words, 3/4 of a percent of net income for the sign expense.

...that it is an inconsequential amount of money for Avigilon to spend on marketing, and that this isn't really a story that is worthy of it's own thread by IPVM.

The thread was not intended to be about Avigilon.  It's just about signage expense.  

Some people may not be aware of the costs involved.  36 people found it interesting enough to vote on.  

I'm not sure how you calculate thread worthiness, but considering the downside of creating a thread (screen clutter?), it seems unobjectionable.

U
Undisclosed #4
Apr 16, 2017

100% agree with you

Who Cares?

hope hundreds more people post the same words

(3)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Apr 16, 2017

"hope hundreds more people post the same words"

so you don't care and you hope hundreds of others will care enough to show they agree with you not caring?

(2)
U
Undisclosed #4
Apr 16, 2017

yes

U
Undisclosed #1
Apr 16, 2017
IPVMU Certified

you hope hundreds of others will care enough to show they agree with you not caring?

Only if they don't care really strongly.

U
Undisclosed #2
Apr 16, 2017

(2)
(2)
U
Undisclosed #1
Apr 16, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Who Cares?

Just try Avigilon first ok, I'm sure there is a dealer in your area...

U
Undisclosed #4
Apr 16, 2017

I do not have try

I am Avigilon partner

(2)
U
Undisclosed #2
Apr 16, 2017
who said they should or shouldn't have had the multi-panel ad at the show, U(AVO)I3? the OP simply asked the voters to guess since they have the number. what's wrong with that?
JH
John Honovich
Apr 16, 2017
IPVM

The answer is $45,000.

It is $4,500 per panel and that Avigilon one used 10 panels.

See:

The point is about general marketing expenses, which as the poll results show, people significantly underestimate.

Another example, the short but long strip Genetec does costs ~$14,000:

While ISC West does not disclose the price for the huge banners that Axis and Hikvision do, e.g.:

They certainly cost tens of thousands of dollars each.

As a sense of perspective, Axis, Avigilon and Hikvision spent $1 to $1.50 per attendee just for a single ad outside the show hall.

(2)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions