Subscriber Discussion

How Many Surveillance Cameras Do You Have In Your Home?

U
Undisclosed #1
Sep 07, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Working, and in service.

DG
Dwayne Grant
Sep 08, 2015

All Axis 5 cameras m3004, m5014, m3025ve, p3364ve-6mm, and p3364ve-12mm. Just ordered Hikvision cameras similar to the above

How many do you have and what brand?

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Sep 08, 2015
IPVMU Certified

In service:

• 1 Axis P-3367
  • 1 Axis M-3006
  • 2 Stardot 5MP Netcams
  • 1 Samsung 43x Analog SD PTZ
  • 1 Dahua 3MP Bullet
  • 1 Mobotix Q-24
  • 2 Everfocus 3MP Boxcams
  • 1 Sony IP SD PTZ
  • 1 3Svision 5MP box

My last 2100 died a year ago. Had three Toshibas from 8(?) years ago. Little IP 21x PTZ's, 1024x768, edge recording. They were way ahead of their time but they died way before it also.

I pretty much will buy any IP camera that I don't have if I see it in a brick and mortar store.

U
Undisclosed #3
Sep 08, 2015

Hey UD1,

How do you manage the video from all those disparate cameras?

U
Undisclosed #1
Sep 08, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Simple, I run all the major VMSes, a few NVR's and some NASes.

But that's another list... :)

DG
Dwayne Grant
Sep 08, 2015

I purchased the Hikvision that are similar to the m series axis to compare. It's going to be interesting when I install next to the Axis cameras.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Sep 08, 2015

In service:

2 HIK Turrets

2 Avigilon bullets with analytics ( covering driveway )

(1)
MI
Matt Ion
Sep 08, 2015

A Dahua mini-dome on the front door, Dahua bullet on the pool, Arecont 3155 over the driveway, and an ever-changing assortment on my test bench (currently an Axis P1204, VSX-2MP-VD, and a couple IQ511s).

(1)
MM
Michael Miller
Sep 08, 2015

None at home (yet) but quite the list at the office (demo). Would be happy to share if your intrested.

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #4
Sep 08, 2015

Not a fair question since my home has an office and business garage to work out of .

I currently at any time have 3 servers, 4 computers, about 12 online and 10 on the bench working and not working cameras , ptzs, Alarms Systems , full networks, tree with poe switches

The Problem is i never leave it behind me , and it is always on my mind , and I always have something in the works.

I get up very early and work very late , so management is criticle.

Panasonic,Bosch, Axis, Arecont, Hikvision, Sony, Pelco, DW,Speco,and a ton of others (analog)with encloders, to test, verify opereational ability's

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #5
Sep 08, 2015

10 cameras from varying manufactures changing all the time as I use it for long an sort term tests. I built the house with camera testing in mind. I once had Time Warner show up because I took out my town's and half of teh next towns internet testign an ethernet to coax adapter. little devil was so noisy it leaked into the cable modem and back fed. It was so easy it was scarey.

I have a picture somewhere of a fleet of service trucks parked in front of my house.

(1)
PV
Pat Villerot
Sep 08, 2015

Zero. It's on the list to rectify when finances and time allow.

(1)
Jon Dillabaugh
Sep 23, 2015
Pro Focus LLC

But your name is Rich...?

Campbell Chang
Sep 08, 2015

0, I live in a 1 bedroom apartment in secured complex.

(1)
SM
Steve Mitchell
Sep 10, 2015

Five cameras. The best (home) cameras are those easily accessible from your phone.

I can see current images of my house within 5 seconds of picking up my phone. This makes it trivial to "check on" things, and greaty increases the usefulness and value of the system.

One camera inside the garage where I can check to make sure the garage door is closed (and as the garage is an entrance, monitor that point).

One camera on the driveway where my kids will walk up after school, visitors park, and to keep an eye on my vehicle overnight.

One camera mounted up high to see the back alley and another the side road, as that's usually where anything fishy happens.

One camera on the front door walkway for seeing deliveries, visitors, and to keep an eye on the neighbor's house across the street when they're away.

I have an available POE port inside in the living room where I will set up a temporary camera on top of the entertainment system that covers the back door and main hallway to the bedrooms for occasions where we're out of town on vacation.

Having a good home system gives us a reputation with the local PD which sometimes stops by if they're canvassing the area due to a crime and they'll ask us if we have any footage of "anything around such-and-such a time yesterday." In one incident of an attempted burglary of our neighbor's house the bad guys had the misfortune of choosing our house as the point to turn around and go back to their target--so they were on three cameras from several different angles. We were able to send them video of the perps' license plate, clear images of their faces, and you could even see through the windshield that the passenger was wearing blue rubber gloves so as to not leave his fingerprints.

Lesson being, everybody benefits from a good home system.

(1)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Sep 10, 2015
IPVMU Certified

...the local PD which sometimes stops by if they're canvassing the area due to a crime and they'll ask us if we have any footage of "anything around such-and-such a time yesterday.

Wow, how often does that happen?

I've been waiting ten years for that knock, so I could get a real lawman's appraisal of my system. I even record to two systems in parallel, ever since reading this, just in case they want to confiscate a NVR. But nothing. :)

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #6
Sep 10, 2015

I have had 5 for many years and will upgrade to HD in the next couple of weeks. 1 for the pool, 1 for the back patio, 1 for the side yard, 1 at the Front Door and 1 PTZ in the front for the driveway and general area. I watch while in front of the main TV in the house and occasionally while on the road. I won't name the current manufacturer because they are all getting removed.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Sep 10, 2015
IPVMU Certified

...because they are all getting removed...

And tossed?

Some almost worthwhile things I've done with my cheap SD cameras after upgrading them:

• Put one in the server closet looking the the network switch lights and a digital thermometer.
  • Put one underneath a kitchen cabinet, looking down at the caller-id display of a landline phone.
  • Put one at ground level looking up at a pet-door. (Scary, don't recommend)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #6
Sep 10, 2015
I believe they will enhance the quality of the landfill material at the local dump.
Hal Bennick
Sep 11, 2015
Trafficware, a CUBIC Company

Zero, my wife thinks they're all too ugly. I put a few up now and then when needed. I put up two old Axis 210s a few years ago when hurricane Rita came through and we chose to bug out. The storm changed directions and missed us, so I got great video of a hibiscus swaying in the breeze. I put up a consumer grade Panasonic about 2 years ago when several kids toys were taken from our front yard, but nothing more was taken. We do have a very effective audible intrusion alarm in the form of two dogs. Their motion sensor are pretty sensitive...

U
Undisclosed #1
Sep 11, 2015
IPVMU Certified

I put up a consumer grade Panasonic about 2 years ago when several kids toys were taken from our front yard, but nothing more was taken.

Not with Panasonic on Patrol!

I had this indoor-only, counter-top one, a PIR PTz, shown here outdoors with inverted pole-mount, soon before its untimely demise.

(2)
Brian Rhodes
Sep 11, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Is that a bungee cord ?

(3)
Ethan Ace
Sep 11, 2015

No, it's a third-party inverted pole mount.

(2)
U
Undisclosed #1
Sep 11, 2015
IPVMU Certified

With highwayman's hitch quick release.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Sep 20, 2015
IPVMU Certified

This model was actually from the self-powered, and short-lived, Panasonic RainCatcher series. The idea was simple: harness the abundant kinetic energy in rainfall to provide power to crappy little plastic PT's worldwide. They failed.

How about your homestead? If not cameras, it's fine with me to share some access control pics; maybe we could even get a glimpse of the legendary Franken finger? ;)

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #7
Sep 19, 2015

seven

2 x Ipix 43413 dome

1 x Honeywell HCD92534X

2 x older Pelco

1 Bosch LTC0485/11

1 pin hole covert B/W

(1)
SG
Sam Godwin
Sep 20, 2015

I have four Hikvision. Love the Iphone app.

(1)
GF
Gerald Fowler
Sep 23, 2015

31 running now but testing a hik nvr unit.I have 4 on dahua unit pretty good nvr i have to say.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Sep 23, 2015
IPVMU Certified

We have a new leader at 31! Who can match that?

Jon Dillabaugh
Sep 23, 2015
Pro Focus LLC

I have four running at the moment:

2 x Dahua IPC-HDBW4300E on my driveway

1 x Dahua IPC-HF5200 covering the inside of my garage door

1 x Axis P1344 covering my beer fridge in the garage

I have been meaning to add one on the front door, but just haven't taken the time to fish the wire through an inaccessable attic space above the kitchen. I might get to that this weekend.

All of these cameras are being recorded on a DW Spectrum server with about 60 days retention. I also have a Synology NAS that I have recorded on as well, but prefer the ease of the DWS system for reviewing incidents.

What is ironic is that just two days after installing these cameras, we had two thieves break into our Jeep parked in the driveway. The footage was good enough to lead to the arrest and conviction of the thieves. My footage was shown on all of the local news broadcasts.

Video Footage

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Sep 23, 2015
IPVMU Certified

What is ironic is that just two days after installing these cameras, we had two thieves break into our Jeep parked in the driveway. The footage was good enough to lead to the arrest and conviction of the thieves. My footage was shown on all of the local news broadcasts.

Now that is Marketing my friend!

U
Undisclosed #1
Sep 23, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Funny, I would have thought you were the "back the truck in" type, ready-to-roll style...;)

Jon Dillabaugh
Sep 23, 2015
Pro Focus LLC

I am! The tan Jeep to the right is mine, which is backed in. The black Jeep is the Mrs.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #8
Sep 23, 2015

House Cameras

1 x Samsung SNO-6011R

1 x Axis M1031-W

1 x Axis P3364-VE

1 x Axis M1054

1 x Axis P1344

1 x Pelco Sarix

1 x Axis P8221

1 x Axis M3004

1 x Axis M7001 (Everfocus Analog)

1 x Samsung SNO-L6013R

1 x Adam6060

All feed into a Milestone Corporate VMS

Then I host 2 friends homes and 1 business on a Milestone Enterprise VMS

House 1

3 x Samsung SNO-L6013R

House 2

2 x Samsung SNO-L6013E

Business

1 x Axis P3354

1 x Samsung SNO-L6013E

1 x Ubnt Aircam

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Sep 23, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Awesome! High end stuff.

Then I host 2 friends homes and 1 business on a Milestone Enterprise VMS.

I did that too for a while, until the neighbors got to be annoying.

You know the whole "Sorry to bother you, but can I borrow half a terabyte? We've had a lot of unexpected motion lately" thing...

#pelcointhewild

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions