How Many Hours Do You Work Per Week On Average?

JH
John Honovich
Jul 23, 2013
IPVM

Vote:

JH
John Honovich
Jul 23, 2013
IPVM

I work 80+ hours per week, something I have pretty much always done my entire career. I think it's critical to learning and improving to keep trying things and pushing forward.

While I would not recommend it for doing something repetitive (like hanging cameras), creative / intellectual tasks require lots of experimentation, especially if you want to excel at different aspects of technology and business.

RT
Ronald Tetrault
Jul 23, 2013

80+ hours a week? When do you sleep and shop and eat and socialize??

JH
John Honovich
Jul 23, 2013
IPVM

I don't really shop nor socialize. Do 12 hours a day weekdays and 10 hours a day weekend and that's 80.

Also, I work basically from my computer so it's a lot easier and more flexible. If I did 80 hours a week confined to an office far away, that would be a much different, more difficult and draining situation.

SP
Sean Patton
Jul 23, 2013

40-50 official "on-the-clock" hours, I don't count responding and reading on here or other forums as "work" when its on my time. I could stop if I wanted to, it's my choice man.. =P

RT
Ronald Tetrault
Jul 23, 2013

John,

You don't shop even for food? Nonetheless, at one point in time I had financial problem and I did work 80+ hours a week. Wound up with serious health problems. It's not worth it. Some socializing helps my tense brain -- it's a good timeout.

Ross Vander Klok
Jul 23, 2013
IPVMU Certified

80+ a week!?!?! Holy crap man that is going to kill you!

Luis Carmona
Jul 23, 2013
Geutebruck USA • IPVMU Certified

Small business owners for the most part work more hours than any other employee of the company. For better or worse, nobody cares as much about your business the way you do as an owner. It'd be interesting to know how many readers are self employed or the actual business owner.

Sean Nelson
Jul 23, 2013
Nelly's Security

80 hours a week, i believe it! I approach that every now and then, but with kids and a family I have to budget my time, otherwise I would definetely be doing that every single week. I easily work 60-70 though. Its not hard to do though when you love what you are doing. I actually have to force myself not to work.

RT
Ronald Tetrault
Jul 23, 2013

I love my work too (time passes way too fast), but nonetheless I need to time out to stay sane (rest is vital for the brain and body ... helps prevent premature aging/death). I presume work addiction is not healthier than any other addictions. The nice thing about being your own boss is that you can set your own limits.

JH
John Honovich
Jul 23, 2013
IPVM

Sean, at least for me, commenting counts as work time ;)

One important aspect is that people should work more hours per week when they are younger. Not because they have less responsibilities (that helps) but because they need to do it to improve. You can't work 40 hours a week as a 20 something and expect to be top of your field. It could happen, mainly though luck or connections, but becoming an expert / leader in your field without putting in a lot of work/studying is unrealistic.

Sean Nelson
Jul 23, 2013
Nelly's Security

I agree, spending time on forums and general surfing of the net researching CCTV stuff is considered work for me. Heck, I wouldnt be where I am at today without forums such as this.

SP
Sean Patton
Jul 23, 2013

@Sean, I just see it differently I guess. By our jobs we have to keep up on the market and technology, but I don't have it in a task list to read 5 articles on IPVM, or post 10 posts on LinkedIn/Genetec Forums. I just do it from my own curiosity and interest.

Ross Vander Klok
Jul 23, 2013
IPVMU Certified

If spending time here and other CCTV sites is considered work I need to change my vote......

Sean Nelson
Jul 23, 2013
Nelly's Security

I dont task it out either, but I find myself looking at those things everyday. And I can tell you I wouldnt be where I am at today without the knowledge I have obtained through these methods, Basically, I have been more successful and profitable as a business owner by reading forums, artciles, etc. therefore I consider it part of my work, even though its kind of leisure. Dont get me wrong though, I dont spend huge amount of hours doing this, its usually for minutes at a time, but sometimes a tidbit of info can go a long way. What I consider true leisure is setting and watching a TV show, going to the lake etc.

SP
Sean Patton
Jul 23, 2013

Yeah I can see as a business owner you have to approach it much differently...

Marty Major
Jul 23, 2013
Teledyne FLIR

I think the barrier between what is work and what is personal interest can change depending on both job title/duties and, well... what your personal interests are.

If your job is in your field of personal interest, it's much harder to define where the barrier between the two exists.

I think it would be hard to really get any satisfaction out of a 'career' in a field that you have no personal interest in.

If you have no personal interest in your field of employment, then imo, you simply have a 'job'.

Sean Nelson
Jul 23, 2013
Nelly's Security

The saying " if you love what you do, then it wont feel like a job" is definetely true. I'll be honest, more often than not, I would rather be working then staying at home, or fishing, etc. And I love fishing!

JH
John Honovich
Jul 23, 2013
IPVM

Now I get to disagree with Marty!

Citing our excellent discussion: "Don't Follow Your Passion, Go Into Physical Security", money quote:

"Passion is a side effect of mastery... The satisfaction of achieving one level of success spurs you on to gain the skills to reach the next level, and the next, and the next. And one day you wake up feeling incredibly fulfilled."

For example, I do not have a 'personal interest' in surveillance.

Marty Major
Jul 23, 2013
Teledyne FLIR

I may also possess no personal interest in 'surveillance' per se, but I do have a personal interest in support and training - and surveillance systems are merely the tool (not the subject of my personal interest).

I would think a similar argument could be made that you are also using surveillance systems as the tool in your career as a journalist/end user advocate. The tools that you use are merely to produce the product of your interest.

We don't disagree at all - except semantically! :)

JH
John Honovich
Jul 23, 2013
IPVM

Since we are getting into semantics, I don't think the best term is 'personal interests', which colloquially brings to mind things like "football, darts, stamp collecting, video games, etc."

What you are getting at is something more fundamental, like 'personality' or 'style'. I do agree with that. People who try to force themselves into doing things that conflicts with their core personality, even if it is for more money, will burn out.

Carl Lindgren
Jul 23, 2013

My work is also my hobby. I actually spend around 45 hours a week at my office but when you add being on call 7/24, research, answering work emails, etc. I would guess I average well over 50 hours per week (as my wife will attest).

By the way, your statement: "people should work more hours per week when they are younger" is not necessarily true. I turn 65 this year and I don't plan to slow down. In fact, I believe that's what kills many retirees and is a contributing factor in Alzheimers/Dementia.

JH
John Honovich
Jul 23, 2013
IPVM

Carl, to be clear, I am not saying that people have to work less when they are older. My point is that, if you are going to excel in your career, you cannot wake up out of a stupor at 45 and say, "Hey I think I am going to try to work hard and be successful." I am sure a few do but with the odds (and life issues) are stacked against people that way. It's critical to get it in early so you lay good foundations.

SP
Sean Patton
Jul 23, 2013

"Passion is a side effect of mastery" I whole-heartedly disagree with that statement. I'm passionate about many things that I am completely unskilled in or far from mastery; Autoracing, football, playing guitar.. etc.

Then again I made one of the "passionate about technology" statements and got burned over it in that discussion (which I still stand behind).

@Marty, your core personality trait is "speaking" and "communicating"... which only took 1 phone call to figure out. Also read those as finger air-quotes.

Luis Carmona
Jul 23, 2013
Geutebruck USA • IPVMU Certified

Au contraire, Sean, you have mastered some skill for autoracing, football, etc. Like me, you are a "master" of watching it. See? :)

SP
Sean Patton
Jul 23, 2013

haha I only have a 40" TV... amateur at best. =P

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions