How Low Can Kit Pricing Go? $399 For 8 1080p Cameras And A 2TB DVR

JH
John Honovich
Oct 13, 2015
IPVM

2 years ago, we were pretty much amazed at $699 for 4 720p cameras and a 1TB DVR. Now, the cameras included have doubled and the price has dropped 43%.

The drop in prices continue to be staggering.

Check it out:

Related: SD Analog Is Dead, Even At Costco

Thoughts?

These systems become the bechmark for price / performance for consumers and SMBs that check and compare vs Costco. Agree / disagree?

(1)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Oct 13, 2015
IPVMU Certified

2 years ago, we were pretty much amazed at $699 for 4 720p cameras and a 1TB DVR. Now, the cameras included have doubled and the price has dropped 43%.

How much do you think can be attributed to the fact that the $699 one was a NVR with POE/IP cameras and this one is a DVR with Analog HD cameras?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Oct 13, 2015

I would have to say it is a significant portion of why the price is dropping. I cannot comment on the price of the chips, royalties, and other items that would affect the cost of an IP camera. However, there is no dispute that an HD Analog / TVI / CVI camera costs less than its equivalent IP camera model.

JH
John Honovich
Oct 13, 2015
IPVM

In general, for the same feature sets, HD analog tends to be 30 - 50% less than IP.

Roughly speaking then, roughly half the drop might be attributed to HD analog, the other half to the general fall in prices from the maturation of Chinese competition.

Jon Dillabaugh
Oct 14, 2015
Pro Focus LLC

That pricing is well below my best distributor pricing. My best guestimate would be around $500 cost for similar hardware (Dauha CVI). That would be using a junk hard drive, not the surveillance line that we usually use. Lorex HAS to be losing on this deal.

U
Undisclosed #1
Oct 14, 2015
IPVMU Certified

That QC604 kit has actually held up pretty well, $699 is a common price point at Amazon and others. The only lower price I can find for it is $540 at home depot. So about 22% reduction in the same kit over two years.

Costco does seem to discount the hell out of things, so maybe if they were carrying it today it would be even lower...

JH
John Honovich
Oct 14, 2015
IPVM

Usually major price drops come from new models, not reduction of existing models.

U
Undisclosed #1
Oct 14, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Is that a security truism or a general retail one, or just the one to use when you are racing towards the bottom?

I'm thinking cars for instance, the models already on sale when new models hit the street often see drastic reductions.

JH
John Honovich
Oct 14, 2015
IPVM

It's my experience in this market.

"the models already on sale when new models hit the street often see drastic reductions."

Because people standardize on certain camera models, they often keep ordering the same ones even if there are newer, better, cheaper models. We can debate why or why that is rationale.

That said, models are discontinued, and at that time, they are often cut in price dramatically just to get rid of final inventory. However, if they are not discontinued (and unlike cars they can be kept in production for many years), price drops tend to be modest.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #3
Oct 14, 2015

IP will always be more expensive than analog HD type products because of the higher hardware requirement at the front end (compression at the camera)

(1)
Jon Dillabaugh
Oct 14, 2015
Pro Focus LLC

I agree in general, but there are times where IP could be cheaper. Like, if a customer needs just one camera, a single, edge recording IP camera would be cheaper than a 4CH DVR, HD camera, PSU, HDD, etc. Or if you need a 17th camera and the price delta between 16CH and 32CH DVRs is more than the Analog HD vs IP delta. Again, rare, but possible.

MI
Matt Ion
Oct 15, 2015

Just curious who actually makes this? HIK?

I installed a HIK NVR for someone recently. What a clusterf*** that thing was to get online. Interface, web front end, and mobile apps all lead much to be desired. I'd gladly pay a premium for something Dahua-made just to save on the cost of Advil.

(3)
U
Undisclosed #1
Oct 15, 2015
IPVMU Certified

I'd gladly pay a premium for something Dahua-made...

Now there's a statement you don't hear everyday!

(1)
Jon Dillabaugh
Oct 15, 2015
Pro Focus LLC

The DVR has the look of Dahua.

(1)
David Johnson
Oct 15, 2015

In our experience - and we've installed plenty of both - there's very little difference between a Hik and Dahua product across the board. The super low cost OEM's of both tend to be fairly equal as well in that certain functions are missing and the overall 'slickness' of the onboard GUI is reduced.

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Nov 16, 2015
IPVM

Here's Hikvision at ADI: TVI 2TB DVR with 6 1080p cameras

Though ad indicates 1080p cameras, only 720p recording.

BG
Bob Germain
Nov 16, 2015

John- It also does 1080p at 12fps.

Bob (Hik)

U
Undisclosed #1
Nov 16, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Constructive marketing criticism:

D1 is not the best branding for an HD camera/recorder kit...

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions