Subscriber Discussion

How Long Does It Take To Run Rigid Conduit?

Joseph Trowbridge
Sep 02, 2016

Here is a question?

How many man hours would you quote to run Rigid Conduit.

9 door locations - max distance 150' (3 of these doors are 150', the others vary between 50 and 120'.

Manufacturing plant (Processing area on 2 doors - 75' runs) other 7 doors in office area.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Sep 02, 2016

I don't know.

I would sub this out to an electrical contractor that has the necessary threading equipment.

Ari Erenthal
Sep 07, 2016
Chesapeake & Midlantic

I don't think you need to thread in this situation. Just use couplings. It doesn't need to be watertight, after all.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Sep 02, 2016

I'm not experienced in this myself, but from what I've heard from service people, it can vary significantly. Things like having to make bends around other piping and obstacles and mounting to the wall versus strapping to walkways can add significant time. If you know the number of bends you have to make, it can lessen your +/- variance.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Sep 02, 2016

What dimension rigid? 1/2" or larger? It matters a great deal.

Is there uni-strut already in place or all new?

Wall or Ceiling mount?

Support method?

Height?

All of these matter.

Unlike EMT which is lighter, typically 10' sticks and always used with couplers and connectors, rigid can be heavy or very heavy, threaded or require threading, require a machine to bend at 1" or greater, 20' lengths available.

The boxes used are usually threaded as well, making that part just a little more difficult.

(2)
(1)
Robert Baxter
Sep 03, 2016

You can get rigid couplings and connectors that use set screws and doesn't need threading.

I would use 6 man hrs per 100' if 1/2", 7.5 hrs if 3/4". Use a man lift if mounting more than 12' above floor. Additional labour for boxes and devices.

Is it rigid for mechanical protection or is it classified as a dust or gas hazard? If so get an electrical contractor for sure.

(1)
(3)
UI
Sep 03, 2016

You can certainly use rigid compression couplers and such. They are expensive.

EP
Eddie Perry
Sep 03, 2016

short answer it will take as long as it will take.

long answer, well depends on what size conduit if there is existing hardware/surfaces to mount to. also how high in the ceiling you have to mount to.

Normally rigid conduit is for industrial situations so there may other things to consider such as corrosion, explosion, and impact protection. this would have to extend to you boxes and the camera equipment itself.

Also if is this a plant that is running now or new construction ? if you have to work around the plant down time it could take longer.

you may want to call a electrician in for this he should be able to take one look at it, ask the right questions and give you an rough estimate right there and then.

(1)
(1)
(1)
EP
Eddie Perry
Sep 03, 2016

or access control or other security equipment that may need to meet industrial code......

Joseph Trowbridge
Sep 07, 2016

Thank You Gentlemen - I appriciate the assistance.

Joseph Marotta
Sep 07, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Good responses above! Without knowing existing conditions as others mentioned, it would be difficult to accurately estimate this one for you. Best suggestion is have a local electrical contractor walk the site and provide an estimate. If you are in the US, and have access to an RSMeans Electrical Cost Data book, you can check out estimates for installing conduit supports, rigid conduit, making field bends, elbows, etc. If all else fails, at least it would be a starting point. Sometimes we use it in our engineering office to double check contractors who turn in what we consider to be 'unreasonable' change orders. Good luck out there!

(1)
(1)
Jon Dillabaugh
Sep 07, 2016
Pro Focus LLC

Like they say about when someone has to ask the price, more than you can afford...

Honestly, with the little info given, you aren't going to get much valuable info here. There are way too many variables to factor. You would need someone very seasoned in running rigid with all the right tools and first hand knowledge of the site to give you anything close to a ballpark.

Having ran a minimal amount of rigid myself, as well as a little more EMT, ENT, LFMC, etc, rigid will by far take much longer than any other conduit. Using compression fittings will save you time, but depending on your labor rate, they may cost more than labor. Again, too many factors.

(2)
(1)
Ari Erenthal
Sep 07, 2016
Chesapeake & Midlantic

Question: why are you using rigid and not EMT? How many cables are you running?

UI
Sep 07, 2016

Rigid, if required is usually installed in an environmentally difficult location, be thankful it's not stainless steel as in some food processing locations.

It's either for the protection of the wiring in a location subject to forceful damage, or it's for the protection of the location such as with Class/Div requirements. Hazardous Locations

I think grain silo, many think refinery.

Rigid can actually be easy to install in long lengths as it comes with threading on one end and a coupler already welded to the other end. This is in 20' lengths so there are less connections in a nice long run. Everything rigid touches is more expensive than EMT, including the level of difficulty bending it.

I didn't install it unless it was necessary!

(1)
Ari Erenthal
Sep 07, 2016
Chesapeake & Midlantic

Well, it's a great day when I learn something new. Thanks, anonymous person!

(1)
Jon Dillabaugh
Sep 07, 2016
Pro Focus LLC

All of the rigid we have used (3/4" to 2-1/2") has had a threaded, removable coupler, never welded. Is that a feature of certain brands?

(2)
(1)
UI
Sep 07, 2016

Jon is a smart dude!

I meant attached and I should limit my actions to only 3 things at a time. What I meant to express is all you do is twist and go on a straight line.

Mostly I wanted to express that you can't take estimating rigid lightly (no pun intended), or relate it to EMT in most applications.

(3)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions