Subscriber Discussion

How Important Is SOAP (Simple Object Access Protocol)?

UE
Undisclosed End User #1
May 07, 2015

How important is SOAP ( Simple Object Access protocol ) on CCTV?

JH
John Honovich
May 07, 2015
IPVM

SOAP is used by ONVIF so if use ONVIF you are using SOAP. And there are likely some manufacturer APIs that use SOAP.

As a user or integrator, SOAP generally won't have much of a practical impact (e.g., it's not as if you can switch to a REST version of ONVIF).

Where did you hear about SOAP? Where do you think this might make a difference? Is any vendor promoting it to you or?

UE
Undisclosed End User #1
May 08, 2015

I was searching for ONVIF compliant cameras that i will be using for my RFP, when i noticed SOAP on the datasheets of avigilon camera and bosch camera*

Since it is a fact that ONVIF is already using the SOAP I wonder why these two manufacturer still included or stated SOAP on their protocols supported.

• Is there any other use of it ? like integrating to Building Management System
  • Could anyone confirm if the SOAP Protocol is already complied when the camera is already ONVIF Compliant? Thanks in advance.

Avigilon Camera

Bosch Camera

SM
Steve Mitchell
May 08, 2015

Many manufacturers (*cough* *cough*) include the entire alphabet soup of software/communications technology that their products use just to pad out the spec sheet with cool sounding stuff. Listing "TCP/IP" on the spec sheet of your IP camera for example--not really relevant to its operation or as a differentiator.

In a way I think it harkens back to the old analog days when the electrical specs mattered. But today, pointing out that you use SOAP as part of your API is akin to a car dealer saying the car comes with a gas tank.

More relevant than SOAP (or not) is if the camera has a programmable API and what features, standards, and accessibility that provides to you as an end user.

JH
John Honovich
May 08, 2015
IPVM

Yes, SOAP is 'already compiled when the camera is already ONVIF compliant.' It's like buying a new car and having the transmission included. It's a fundamental component of ONVIF, not an add on accessory.

Maybe some BMSes use SOAP but even so, it's the same thing, end users and integrators don't need to worry about configuring or setting it up.

I am not sure why Avigilon or Bosch would list SOAP, maybe they just want to list everything to make it look as good as possible but you are not going to need to do anything with SOAP.

U
Undisclosed #2
May 08, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Since it is a fact that ONVIF is already using the SOAP I wonder why these two manufacturer still included or stated SOAP on their protocols supported.

In this case of Avigilon, the reason seems to be that they use it for their own propreitery ACC API, since on their 29MP erstwhile megapixel champion, which no one would accuse of being ONVIF compliant, SOAP is listed right after TCP.

But unless you need to do some exotic firewall punches, I agree with John that there is probably no significance in them listing it...

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions