Subscriber Discussion

How Good Is Avigilon Light Catcher Cameras? What Are Its Equivalent Competition Cameras?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Apr 21, 2014

I have got many customers complaining about grains in the dark areas, or camera switching into night mode at low light conditions.Then i read about the Avigilon Light Catcher cameras,which claim to give colour videos in very low light conditions.Their youtube videos look impressive.If anybody with experience on this camera would comment,it would be great.They offer this in 1.3 megapixel resolution.

What are the suggested alternatives for this camera.I am asking for alternatives,considering the high price if this Avigilon Model.

JH
John Honovich
Apr 21, 2014
IPVM

Most manufacturers have a 'super' low light camera offering, each with different marketing names. For Axis, it's Lightfinder. For Bosch, it's Starlight. For Samsung, it's Super Light Enhancer. Just recently, Hikvision announced Darkfighter, Arecont announced Stellar, etc. There are many other manufacturers with similar offerings.

See our Ranking IP Camera Low Light Performance. We have not tested Avigilon Light Catcher yet.

RW
Rukmini Wilson
Apr 21, 2014

For Axis, it's Lightfinder. For Bosch, it's Starlight. For Samsung, it's Super Light Enhancer. Just recently, Hikvision announced Darkfighter.

Do you believe all these light enhancers to be distinct and proprietary technologies? Are there any clues when looking at the spec, e.g, sensor form factor, sensor mfr., that gives away which mfrs. original contribution extend no further than the trademark?

Marketing tip for any "me too" mfr. afraid of becoming a "me too late" one, quickly snatch-up the one remaining noun-adj moniker, 'DarkCatcher', before Pelco takes what is rightfully theirs...

JH
John Honovich
Apr 21, 2014
IPVM

I believe a number of them are using Ambarella chips for image processing, though certainly not all.

What is certain is that it is NOT coming from bigger imagers, a common myth. But it is coming from more enhanced gain control / image processing / image enhancement on-board the camera.

RW
Rukmini Wilson
Apr 21, 2014

What is certain is that it is NOT coming from bigger imagers, a common myth.

That is easily verifiable and so the myth is as easily dispelled.

Of course bigger imagers mean even bigger costs so it not really viable today, but how much bigger would the imagers, IYO, have to get to make a similar impact on light enhancement? 1/2", 2/3" ? I am assuming that you do agree that their is some linear type relation between sensor size and sensitivity, yes/no? Certainly it is well believed in the pro-photo circles, e.g. Nikon D3 among others...

JH
John Honovich
Apr 21, 2014
IPVM

I don't know how much bigger it would have to be as we have never tested that. I couldn't even guess.

Here's Sony take - look at their new large imager HD camera.

MI
Matt Ion
Apr 22, 2014

I've been wondering this as well, actually... we've been using Axis P3384s for low light and WDR situations, and I was just given one of these specific Avigilon cameras to test. May soon be putting it on a site for a side-by-side test with the Axis in a situation with serious extremes in lighting. I'd be interested to hear others' experiences.

UE
Undisclosed End User #2
Apr 23, 2014

I'd also like to know.

Had tried several solutions include hardware change or software adjustment, still no success.

RW
Rukmini Wilson
Apr 23, 2014

Are you saying you have an Avigilon LC you are testing with right now? Is it considered H3 or did they come out with an H4?

Ethan Ace
Apr 23, 2014

Lightcatcher is H3. H4 is the H.264 PRO series (so far).

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions