How Do You 'Walk Test' Intrusion Pirs?

Brian Rhodes
Dec 19, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Many intrusion motion detectors include instructions to 'walk test' once per year to confirm function:

This is normally associated with UL installs, but is sometimes just recommended as a general check.

What process or procedure do you use for a 'walk test'? Do you follow a standard or just step off distance?

I cannot find a conclusive answer to this. Recommendations vary, but generally look like this:

The way I read this:

- Start at the far range of the PIR, walk in a perpendicular horseshoe pattern out of, into, and out of sensor range until you finish close to the sensor. The goal is to confirm the sensor is working.

The problem with this is there is so much subjectivity here. How fast do you walk? How many passes? How far away do you test?

Do you know?

Brian Rhodes
Dec 19, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Here is another example, from a Honeywell Dualtech unit:

In BOLD: "The sensor MUST be walk tested after every power up to complete the power up mask detection test."

If is that important, why isn't there better instruction to follow? Also, after every power up? End users don't do this.

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Dec 19, 2016

I walk test by moving from possible break in points to other areas of interest. Say from a window or door to the next area of interest such as a closet in a master bedroom or to the door that leads to other areas of the house. If it is being installed to protect certain customer interests I walk from all points to that specifically and ensure it catches well.

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Dec 19, 2016

Most just walk at the edge of the detection area looking to see if the LED comes on.

Many put up motion detectors and walk away accepting whatever coverage is stated unless a specific goal is required or the unit false alarms.

Notice the walking across pattern?

Passive infra-red works best when crossing the pattern and microwave detects better when objects approach or move away from the detector.

Improvements in the sensors and algorithms have made such an improvement that even the least expensive done require much attention.

Care should be taken when using double sided tape to mount the unit to make sure both surfaces are clean and you must keep the detector in place for at least an hour when using silicone adhesive to mount.

(1)
(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Dec 20, 2016

"Care should be taken when using double sided tape to mount the unit to make sure both surfaces are clean and you must keep the detector in place for at least an hour when using silicone adhesive to mount"

I don't know, but in my short 20 years in the alarm business I've never seen a motion detector mounted with double sided tape. Wireless or hardwired its just waiting to fall off the wall if that's how your going to mount it.

that's truly lick and stick

JM
John Marco
Dec 20, 2016

When using Optex's outdoor Redwall SIP, you can follow this video step-by-step.  

http://www.optexamerica.com/videos/redwall-sip-installation-certification-training

It includes walk test procedure, masking and more.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions