Subscriber Discussion

How Do You Shim A Strike?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Feb 20, 2017

I have a door that has a strike, but the door has a lot of play. Currently there is a Hes 5000C strike in place, but there is just too much play and the door contact is getting activated when the wind blows hard enough. What is the easiest way to shim a door strike or what options have you all seen? 

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Feb 20, 2017

I have seen washers stacked behind the mounting tabs of the strike.

I have seen washers stacked behind the hinges of the door leaf to move the door towards the strike.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Feb 20, 2017

I did not know they had an adjustable keeper, I tore into the spare one sitting on my desk and didn't see anything like that. I have seen on other Hess strikes the screw in shims for the back of the latch but did not know the 5000 adjust. How do you adjust them? 

DT
Damon Tarquinio
Feb 20, 2017

I think you are talking about horizontal adjustment here (adjustable keeper); the HES 5000 doesn't have this feature, but the 5200 does.  The keeper adjustment may reduce the amount of play in the door, but it won't solve the issue of reducing a gap between the edge of the door and the strike.

If the gap between the edge of the door and the door frame is uneven top to bottom, you may need to have the frame adjusted like Brian suggested.  Locksmiths use an adjustment device called a "Hinge Doctor" to make field adjustments on doors that have either sagged due to uneven hinge wear or other mechanical issues.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Feb 20, 2017

My apology's folks for the comment about horizontal adjust-ability. I realized it was an error right away and edited the post, it isn't showing on my browser any more (and wasn't about 2 minutes after I posted) but maybe it didn't properly remove it so you'all can still see it.

Brian Rhodes
Feb 20, 2017
IPVMU Certified

In almost every case, the door frame itself can be better adjusted first before shimming the strike.

Not to say that it's wrong to shim the strike, but it's a little like trying to focus a camera using only the 'fine' focus knob.

In many cases, a rubber mallet, prybar, and a speed square first make strike shimming obsolete.

(1)
DT
Damon Tarquinio
Feb 20, 2017

We've used these in the past for a door like you've described:

EZ-SHIM HS450BP 4.5" Hinge Shim

You can find these on amazon or use similar product from your door hardware distributor.

You can use more than one shim at each hinge if need be.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions