Subscriber Discussion

How Do You Present/Sell A VMS Against An NVR?

JH
Jay Hobdy
May 26, 2018
IPVMU Certified

From the other post Software Only VMS vs NVR Appliances it was mentioned how a software-only VMS is much easier to use than an NVR based VMS. To be technical Smart PSS is still a VMS right?

I do not disagree.

But how do you present that to a client? Do you do a demo of the software? How do you know if the client is looking at a HIK vision quote, a Dahua quote, and your Milestone quote with Dahua/Hik cameras? No doubt about it, the Milestone quote is going to be higher.

Is this just part of us having to rework our sales process, and develop a better relationship with our clients?

MM
Michael Miller
May 26, 2018

Show both the customer both interfaces.  Show them how to access recorded video, how to search and how to export.   If the customer is serious about CCTV they will go with the VMS if they care only about cost they will go NVR.  

(1)
(1)
Jon Dillabaugh
May 26, 2018
Pro Focus LLC

SmartPSS is really a CMS that can also dump video to a hard drive. It’s not really an analog of a VMS. It’s name is an oxymoron if you ask me. There isn’t much smart about it. 

If you want to sell a VMS, simply allow the end user access to both a current model DVR and a VMS. Ask them to work both systems, like retrieving video from yesterday at noon. Then ask them to find the first person thru the door this morning. Practical things like that will show them the differences very quickly. 

We have a client that owns various apartment complexes around town that we have installed cameras at over time. The earliest ones were sold DVR/NVRs. The more recent one has DW Spectrum. The managers at the older sites are super jealous of the Spectrum site and are begging the owner to upgrade their sites to Spectrum. 

The manager at the very first site is capable of using the Dahua system and finds what she needs. It usually takes an hour a day for her to review what she needs. The Spectrum site spends 5 mins a day. 

All of that is assuming there were no events to export. The older site will spend many more hours trying the retrieve the footage, usually ending in me coming on site to backup the footage at the recorder, due to PSS not working. 

The Spectrum site will export the video footage in the same 5 min span as it took to find the event. 

If time is valued at all by your client, they will gladly spend the few hundred dollars more to get a much more simplified system. 

(1)
MM
Michael Miller
May 26, 2018

I have lost count of how many demos I have done for customers which we show how fast customers can search and export video.  This ALWAYS hits home and gets people very excited. Usually, it goes like this "OMG I just spend 3 days looking for an event in my current system and you just did the same thing in 2 mins.   Can you do that again I want to go get my boss? "  Which is then followed up by " how fast can you install this system for us?"

(2)
(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions