Subscriber Discussion

How Do Folks Keep Panic Alert Buttons From Accidentally Being Pushed?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jan 15, 2018

Reading this makes me wonder what other folks are doing to prevent accidental panic button activation's? Over the last couple years we have installed plenty of "panic buttons" in schools and guard stations that trigger mass notifications. Of course there have had false/accidental alarms and the chaos that follows is glorious (nothing compared to this though!). We have circled back and put guards on the buttons to make it harder to push them accidentally.

Edwin Canales
Jan 15, 2018

Replace them with 2 button panic devices. DMP has those for wireless use with their equipment. Maybe there are others on the market? If not, let's make em!

(1)
Ari Erenthal
Jan 15, 2018
Chesapeake & Midlantic

I usually recommend a two button panic if you're going to be carrying it on a pendant or whatever.

The argument against the two button panic is that it takes a little longer to activate, and that it's possible that a user could fail to send a signal if they don't manage to press both buttons simultaneously due to nervousness. Remember that manner panic buttons are usually programmed as silent zones, meaning that the user will get no feedback if they fail to activate. My answer to that one is that users tend to activate panics multiple times, precisely due to the lack of feedback... if they have the time and opportunity to do so. 

As far as fixed panics (or hold-up buttons, as they are often called), you can certainly buy them with guards that help prevent accidental activations.

However, I've always been of the opinion that accidental activations is a matter of placement, not button design. Hold-up button placement is always a balance between being easy to discreetly activate in an emergency and being hard to activate unintentionally. 

If you're having a problem with accidental activations, especially if that problem is limited to a single site or single location, I would rethink the placement first, before anything. Try to observe the user at work in order to gain a good understanding of how they interact with their environment. The best spot to mount the hold-up button should reveal itself to you once you do. 

(2)
UE
Undisclosed End User #2
Jan 15, 2018

We've started using these at our site without any issues.  Used to have accidental activations with both flush and recessed single button switches.

Luckily we don't have to worry about sending out statewide missile alerts though haha.

(1)
(3)
Edwin Canales
Jan 15, 2018

Yeah, if that goes off, you know it was intentional (except for a faulty button of course)

Brian Rhodes
Jan 15, 2018
IPVMU Certified

It's an interesting problem for sure, walking that line between 'easy to activate' and 'protected against accidents'.

There are some buttons , ie 'stick up/hold up buttons' that have a recessed plunger that keep bumps or anything other than a deliberate push from accidentally setting them off.

These work pretty well, in my experience.

For what it's worth, it sounds like Hawaii missile guy was a victim of poor interface design as much as anything. The 'test' command was in the same dropdown as the 'For Real Alert' command? Yikes.

(2)
Daniel S-T
Jan 16, 2018

These have worked pretty well for us for a long time. Or similar to those anyway. I have always mounted the button in a bit, if you know what I mean. Not flush with the desk or what ever. 

And try not to keep it right next to the door/release, or buzzer. That's always a common thing, people pushing the panic when they meant to push the door release, or a buzzer.

(2)
(1)
Michael Silva
Jan 16, 2018
Silva Consultants

Training and frequent testing of panic buttons by the people who must use them is essential in both preventing false alarms and making sure that they can be operated when needed.

During security assessments, I frequently walk up to a desk equipped with a panic button and ask the employee working there to show it to me. More often than not, the employee doesn't know where it is or how it is operated.

I suggest that my clients conduct quarterly tests of their panic buttons and have the employees that are expected to use them actually activate and reset them during the test. This gets employees more comfortable in using the panic buttons, which both prevents false activations and increases the chances that employees will know how to use the buttons when an emergency occurs.

(2)
(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Jan 16, 2018

charge for the unlatching service call.... after they pay that and the false alarm fines a couple of times its amazing how quickly they figure it out.

(1)
(1)
Chuck Janzer
Jan 18, 2018
IPVMU Certified

I think UI#1 asks about panic in mass notification application, not duress/holdup.  One of our Mass notification activation devices looks like this.  "Missle Launch" covers.  Works well.  We needed this so it would go at the knee space of the guard. The red cover sends the email texts and central station.  The yellow starts the overhead voice announcement.  The yellow overhead won't go without the initial "red" email first.  There are three of these at one site, one at each guard station. Bi-Color LEDs on the face give the status of the system to the all of the guard stations at the same time. Hidden but accessible. We would normally use the STI product, also shown.  We have these in a school setting, on the wall in the main office.  Here, the access system goes into lockdown and trips the sound system and noise makers all at the same time.

'Missle Launch box'

STI Lockdown

(1)
Armando Perez
Jan 19, 2018
Hoosier Security and Security Owners Group • IPVMU Certified

That top box is neat, but in practice the crystal clear indications on the bottom picture are probably more effective. thats the same setup we have used in the past.

https://www.sti-usa.com/pcategories/buttons_and_switches/

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions