Subscriber Discussion

How Come It's Called A Mullion Mount, Even When Not Mounted On A Mullion?

U
Undisclosed #1
Jun 22, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Mull it over.

Brian Rhodes
Jun 22, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Mullion is a general term. It is used globally, while 'door frame' (another ambiguous term) can be misunderstood to be structurally internal to the door leaf itself. But to most, the door frame is/are the 'mullions' that surround a door leaf.

In North America, we generally call a 'mullion' the component that is anchored between the leaves on a double door to the frame. Incidentally, if this piece is anchored to the inactive door leaf rather than the frame, it is called an 'astragal' and serves to order the doors and weatherstrip between them. The drawing above notes this.

Making doors and windows is a really old trade, so there are ancient terms like 'transoms', 'sash', 'stiles', 'lites' come to mean specific parts of one door type, but general parts in others.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Jun 22, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Thanks!

But to most, the door frame is/are the 'mullions' that surround a door leaf.

Which is the same as the jambs then?

I feel like jambs have to be made out of wood, but I'm sure that's wrong.

Brian Rhodes
Jun 22, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Jambs are a general feature of frames/mullions whether they are steel, wood, aluminum, plastic, regardless.

So are 'faces', 'rabbets', and 'soffits':

MI
Matt Ion
Jun 25, 2016

In keeping with the general "confusion" theme, I bet I'm not the only one who specifically equates "soffit" with with things like roof overhangs....

Mark Jones
Jun 23, 2016

Sorry. No comment. Misread the title.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions