Subscriber Discussion

How Come Hikvision Switches Are Not Cheap Like Cameras?

Brian Karas
May 09, 2016
IPVM

Hikvision's switches appear to be much more expensive than what you would expect to pay for a comparative managed PoE switch. I would guess Hik is OEM'ing these, but is that the only reason?

Has anyone ever seen or tested one of these in person?

U
Undisclosed #1
May 09, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Apparently the PRC's networking industry subsidy pales in comparison to the video surveillance subsidy.

(1)
(1)
Oleksiy Zayonchkovskyy
May 10, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Not tested but found this:

Under Quick Overview (last bullet)... better be "delete this post"

As stated here switches are independently developed... but still I have a great doubt about this statement. Most likely technologies and platform were bought and then OS were modified to fit "independently developed".

(1)
Brian Karas
May 10, 2016
IPVM

As stated here switches are independently developed... but still I have a great doubt about this statement.

I agree. There must be several network switch OEM's in the same general area as Hikvision.

Of course, it doesn't say it was developed by Hikvision, just that it was independently developed.

U
Undisclosed #1
May 10, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Of course, it doesn't say it was developed by Hikvision, just that it was independently developed.

it kinda does, no? :)

...that are independently developed by Hangzhou Hikvision Technology Co. Ltd.

Brian Karas
May 10, 2016
IPVM

Yeah, somehow I missed that.

U
Undisclosed #1
May 10, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Look, there is a lot of labor involved in taking one of their $200 POE NVR's and ripping out the display/storage subsystems and then flipping the bezel from front to back, it's a wonder they don't cost more...

(2)
(1)
Jon Dillabaugh
May 10, 2016
Pro Focus LLC

Yikes! I hope they don't plan on moving many of those?

Brian Karas
May 10, 2016
IPVM

Maybe the switches are where they plan to make all their money? ;)

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
May 10, 2016
IPVMU Certified

I believe the cost may be due to the fact that they can act as M.F.s, or Master Firmware Servers, for a wide range of devices, both Hik and non-Hik alike, that may be discovered during the commissioning process, or anytime thereafter.

To avoid meddling or detection, the MFs are encoded in the POE magnetics chip, which are normally composed of Analog components thereby making it virtually suspicion free.

Unfortunately, these M.F. chips are not cheap, but then again they are very reliable.

You get what you pay for. ;)

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions