Subscriber Discussion

How Can You Tell If A Camera Is For Outdoors?

U
Undisclosed #1
Jun 19, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Take my M3007-PV or Lee's M3006-V Axis dome camera:

They have aluminum bodies, screw down seals and a plugged cable tail.  They also come with a V in their model number.  I bought mine for a courtyard overview.

Being a moron, I didn't even consider that it might not be an outdoor camera: it felt and looked more substantial than other units I have which definitely are outdoor cameras.  So onto the wall and into elements it went, without the unit putting up the slightest protest.  Tough guy.

Now after several months of heinous camera abuse, I came to realize after reading Lee's thread that it is an indoor only unit.

Reading the spec sheet initially would have helped, it's rated at a mere IP42.  But I don't see anything that says indoor only.  I assume you can use some combination of the IP and operating conditions to determine whether it was or not.  

But what does the IP have to be at a minimum.  And the temperature/humidity range?  Or can you not tell for sure just by looking at the spec sheet?

Thoughts, formulas?

JH
John Honovich
Jun 19, 2015
IPVM

Well, V stands for vandal, it's certainly possible to have a camera that is vandal resistant but not outdoor weatherproof.

Most camera manufacturers only call IP66 or higher 'outdoor' but once in a while a company will try to sneak through something less.

(1)
Jon Dillabaugh
Jun 19, 2015
Pro Focus LLC

That's those cooky Euro designers for ya! :p

In all honesty, /most/ vandal domes are going to be IP66. It is rare to find a vandal dome with IP42.

Ethan Ace
Jun 19, 2015

There are plenty of indoor only IK10 rated cameras which have no IP rating, no gaskets, no heaters, no blowers, etc., etc., which should never be used outside.

Hikvision, Axis, and plenty of others make a distinction between vandal and outdoor. To say that most are going to be IP66 is just wrong.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions