Subscriber Discussion

How About Testing Wdr In Motion?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
May 19, 2015

I see in your tests, that you test wdr by having someone standing in a garage opening and inside the garage. Would it be possible for you to test how the wdr method used, and the manufacturers implementation of the method, affect a scene with the person in motion?

[UPDATE: IPVM has done such tests, see: WDR Camera Shootout 2015]

In scenes where some parts of the face is lit by the sun, the double exposure method sometimes makes the face look more like modern art, than a photo fit for identification. And sometimes different exposure times introduce motion blur. I understand that it is harder to replicate motion for each test, but at least for my application, which is identifying people entering trough glass doors, stationary targets are not very useful.

Ethan Ace
May 19, 2015

Hey A, We included clips in our WDR Camera Shootout 2015.

Here is the relevant excerpt:

Scene 3: Subject Entering Door

In this scene, our subject enters a man door, with the light level varying drastically as the door opens and closes. Performance varies widely, as cameras adjust to the change in light at different rates.

We review the performance of individual cameras in this video screencast:

Users may download a .zip file of these clips (72.1 MB).

In this scene, the Arecont AV3116DNv1 performed worst, with the strong light from outside washing out the interior of the scene and the subject appearing essentially as a silhouette.

By contrast, the Samsung SNB-6004 was one of the best performers in this scene, with the interior, exterior, and subject all visible, without much adjustment time due to the opening door.

The comparison below shows relative performance of each camera as the subject enters the door, taken from the clips above:

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions