Subscriber Discussion

Should I Add Honeywell Cameras To My Lineup?

LP
Lawrence Peters
Feb 13, 2018

Has anyone had any issues with Honeywell camera systems, good or bad?  Looking at maybe adding this brand to our lineup.

David Delepine
Feb 13, 2018
Brivo • IPVMU Certified

Dahua OEM. Have not used them myself but did see that they were already integrated with IviewNow. Familar name brand which is comforting to resi and smb clients.

JH
John Honovich
Feb 13, 2018
IPVM

Lawrence, generally Honeywell cameras are OEMs of lower cost products. We see very low integrator interest in Honeywell cameras. Are you already using Honeywell for intrusion or access, where they are stronger? To the extent, we see integrators using Honeywell it's generally because of that (or they are buying what is on sale that week by Honeywell owned ADI).

LP
Lawrence Peters
Feb 13, 2018

We do not Use Honeywell for anything else.  We have been quoting against another company in the area that is quoting Honeywell equipment and always comes in lower.  We have been selling Flir systems as well and have been having good results with them but doesn't come with the brand recognition that Honeywell does.

JH
John Honovich
Feb 13, 2018
IPVM

Well, you won't be selling low-cost FLIR systems for that much much longer now ;) - Dahua Acquires Lorex From FLIR

And, yes, to the extent that they are coming in at a lower cost with Honeywell it is because they are selling Honeywell's OEMed cameras. Agreed about the brand recognition, it's unfortunate Honeywell is trading on that with lower quality product.

(1)
LP
Lawrence Peters
Feb 13, 2018

Does the acquisition of Lorex affect the Flir line?   I thought that Lorex was a cheaper line of the Flir family, or am i mistaken?

JH
John Honovich
Feb 13, 2018
IPVM

Lawrence, yes it does include FLIR SMB products, as well as Lorex big-box consumer ones.

From FLIR's official announcement:

FLIR Systems, Inc. announced today that it has completed the sale of its Canadian security products subsidiary Lorex, Inc. in a transaction that also included its Toronto-headquartered small and medium-sized (SMB) security products business. [Emphasis added]

The latter part is what was branded FLIR and was most typically sold in ADI for lower prices. FLIR is keeping the DVTel cameras (like Quasar), thermal, etc.

The companies involved confirmed to us that there will be a new brand at some point soon that will not be FLIR, for those SMB / commercial products. 

(1)
AN
Alnoor Nagji
Feb 19, 2018
Business Automation & Security Systems LLC

We have been selling HW cameras, Performance Series and find that most requests come in for integration with Winpack. Seems, this is an advantage for HW.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions