Subscriber Discussion

Home Watch Services?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
May 28, 2017

Does anyone offer home watch services? 

Seems like a good add on service since we are all fingerprinted and (generally) a smart and trusted group of people. 

Any experiences? 

U
Undisclosed #2
May 29, 2017

Your definition of "home watch services"?  Lots of providers for "neighborhood watch" type services, and private patrols, and private alarm response etc.  This space could be the next big thing when local police stop responding to alarm systems, or continue to lower the response priority!

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
May 29, 2017

No I am actually referring to the menial tasks of just checking on the home while the customer is away. I live in a resort town where people may only come down and vacation for a few weeks out of the year. There are companies that make a living on going in and flushing toilets, checking for leaks, replacing smoke alarm batteries, etc.

Its easy work and could be a great way to fill in gaps between service calls and other things. I figure, you have already trusted us as your alarm person, why not trust us also to be the person that enters your house when your away. 

U
Undisclosed #3
May 30, 2017

Those with real money, already have "people" to do this. Maybe a cafeteria plan would be in order. Go into a site stick in a bunch of cameras for the period of time the owner's or gone. Give them rights to log on remotely themselves (Arlo seems pretty well suited for this. Easy set up. Easy to understand). Could do the same thing with a couple of motion detectors and an alarm panel with cellular transmitter. 

You could also add 'burglar proofing" (no such thing, but you get the idea) to the cafeteria plan.  Solar powered motion lights, window pinning, barrier bars, etc. and emergency call lists and protocols could also be part of the services. Put all the stuff in, then pull it out when the owner returns.

I can see this being a great service for the retired community in particular who are not real secure about leaving their homes. Gives  folks a greater feeling of security so they can take that month long trip to Europe. Also a good way to build customer base for more permanent services (i.e. emergency alarms, IDS, in house CCTV, etc). 

You just have to make it affordable.  

U
Undisclosed #2
May 31, 2017

BIG opportunity for “Home Watch Services”.

Our crystal ball suggests that the majority of police departments throughout North America will continue to lower the priority for police response to a “nuisance” status, similar to auto alarms.  This includes most of the 25 million remote monitored, private property deterrent alarm systems, residential and commercial, within the 15000 jurisdictions.  

EXCERPTs from Los Angeles PD website:

“… Q…I pay my taxes. Why do I need to pay for police response to a false alarm?...A…Responses to false alarms are a special service rendered by the LAPD. It is a service not used by the general population….”

“… City of Los Angeles will no longer provide "free" false alarms…”

“... A false alarm … will result in a $289 fee, and escalate in $100 increments…”. 

Special Note #1:  In addition to above limitations, LAPD response times have been 20-40 minutes, or none. The $289 fee (since reduced) is triggered by the “call” from licensed monitoring firms, not triggered by the response. Lots of costs are incurred by police before response.  However all witnessed 911 type emergencies get full 911 emergency response. 

Special Note #2: The LAPD relationship with the alarm industry and LA citizen/customers is well publicized, with full disclosure.  Similar policy/protocol is practiced by most metro and suburban communities, but without full disclosure, aka de facto VR-Verified Response. 

Questions… how many alarm customers know their local policy?  Should their licensed contractor disclose the role of local police?

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions