Subscriber Discussion

Hikvision Pro Series NVR With H.265 Problems

MG
Michael Gombos
Jul 30, 2017

I'm hoping someone here has run across this and found a resolution, as Hik tech support seems to be stumped, and so am I.

I now have 2 separate NVRs at 2 separate client locations using the DS9632NI-I8 NVR and some of the new value plus series cameras.  When the cameras are set to h.265 OR h.265+ no picture can be viewed out of the camera from the NVR.  I can log directly into the camera and see the images without issue, but when logging in through the NVR via the web browser, desktop ivms, or mobile ivms, no picture.  If i set the camera back to h.264 or 264+ I can see them again.  This problem also persists when trying to view out of the HDMI or VGA straight out of the NVR. All of the 264 cameras will display an image, but the ones set at 265 will not.  

Has anyone else seen this?  Any advice would be hugely appreciated!

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Jul 31, 2017

I'm pretty sure that NVR is not H.265+ compatible and doesn't have the processing power to decode H.265. (You get what you pay for and H.265 is too processor intensive for this box) H.265+ is not listed in the specs:

http://www.hikvision.com/us/Products_1_10655_i18296.html

I'd stick with H.264 or if you can get H.264+ to work reliably (I have not in the past).

Good luck. 

MG
Michael Gombos
Jul 31, 2017

According to the spec sheets it is H265 compatible, and H265+ compatible according to the product catalog.  I think the spec sheet was made before H265+ was a thing.

H264 and 264+ work without any issue whatsoever.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Jul 31, 2017

Speaking from experience, Hikvision spec sheets are notoriously unreliable. 

Theninformation that comes from China is very misleading at times. 

Id be willing to bet it is not H.265 or H.265+ compatible or simply does not have the processing power to view and/or encode it. 

Jon Dillabaugh
Jul 31, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

The US based Hikvision site shows that model with h.265 support. Do you know which firmware revision you are running? 3.4.2 is the latest they show in the Downloads tab.

One other question, are you setting the encoding settings via the NVR interface or directly on the camera? You should always change as much as you can through the NVR first, then if a setting isn't available there, change it on the camera directly.

MG
Michael Gombos
Jul 31, 2017

Jon,

I've tried setting the camera to h.265 via the NVR AND direct from the camera.  The NVR is on 3.4.4 and the cameras are on 5.4.5.

It's failing to produce an image with 265 AND 265+  One strange thing that I've noticed is that on the monitor, if motion occurs in front of the camera, the little motion bell will display on top of the black image, so something must be there, it just won't show me the picture. 

It may also be worth noting that if I change the main stream to H265 and the substream to H264, I'm able to see the substream but not the main, and vice versa.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions