Subscriber Discussion

Hikvision NVR - Remote Spot Monitor

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jul 05, 2017

Hi guys,

I have a customer that wants to monitor his employees at his business using cameras (Hikvision system) that are installed there when he's home in his home office.  

I'll be installing a monitor on his wall and would like for it to display the office cams. 

What's the best way to bring the streams into the monitor? I'd like to get something set up that won't give me issues. (

I have already have remote access set up for him on his mobile phone.)

Any help is much appreciated!

Rumen Palmov
Jul 05, 2017

There are 2 options that come to my mind:

1) Use a small factor embedded PC (Intel NUC kit for example) with iVMS-4200. The NUC PC is small enough to be hidden behind the monitor, it is really palm sized. It depends on how many cameras need to be displayed, but an i5 CPU should be ok for up to 16 2MP cameras (remember that for displaying 9 cameras layout and above, the iVMS-4200 uses the sub streams from the cameras).

2) Use a dedicated Hikvision decoder device - like the DS-6904UDI for example. It can decode the streams and display them on the monitor in different layouts. This option will have limited usability and you will have to set it up via a PC before puting it in place.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Jul 05, 2017

Suggest to run Hik  Windows VMS in his home office.   HDMI output directly to monitor. 

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #3
Jul 05, 2017

Not with Hik, but I have done with other brands is to use a low cost NVR appliance that does not have PoE.  Register the cameras to the NVR manually using IP or DDNS.  Then set up the NVR to NOT record, just display video live.

This way the interface is the same as when on site, can utilize multiple streams, etc...

UI
Jul 05, 2017

This sounds like an interesting idea. Do you know if I'll be able to add the office NVR as a source or will I have to open ports for each camera and then add individually?

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #3
Jul 05, 2017

Some NVRs, I believe HIK can, you can take the RTSP stream OUT of the NVR for each channel, and then record that on the home NVR input.

UI
Jul 17, 2017

UPDATE:

Thank you all for your suggestions.

I ended up getting an intel compute stick (M3 version) and running iVms-4500 on it.

It's working really nicely.

(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Jul 17, 2017

Guess it sticks right into monitor's HDMI port. My dealers have done similar setup where not only the client can view surveillance, he can also do wireless presentation or even play games on it. LOL.  Smart move.  

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #4
Jul 17, 2017

Amazon Firestick with TinyCam sideloaded will get the job done if the client has minimal demands. You can buy 4 or 5 of these for the price of a cheap NUC.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions