Subscriber Discussion

Hikvision NVR As An ONVIF Encoder For Milestone Corporate?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Nov 15, 2016

I was told it would work, but customer is telling me he can't get it to connect.  Have a HIK 7716 NVR with about 10 HIK IP cameras at a detached building that was not part of the existing Milestone Corporate system.  (Customer needed a quick surveillance install on a budget due to a recent break in, and was not primarily concerned about connectivity.)  

I added that I thought we might be able to see it through the Milestone system, and their IT guy has been tinkering.  

He emailed me this morning and is getting this message when trying to connect to it:  Any thoughts?

Ethan Ace
Nov 15, 2016

To my knowledge, the NVRs won't work as encoders via ONVIF, only the TVI DVRs.

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Nov 15, 2016

Encoder was probably the wrong choice of terms. What about any other type of ONVIF reachable device?

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Nov 15, 2016

I have used the Hik NVR's as encoders in the past. It should work. I think it actually connects as a Hik camera though. Just finding the right way to connect to it would appear to be the challenge. Might have to do it manually rather than auto discover..

UM
Nov 15, 2016

What I know is that the exact same SDK, protocols and methods are used to connect to a video stream from a Hik camera, as well as a video stream from a Hik NVR. So, just like a camera you need the right driver, port, and username/pass to access the stream. I have not done this with Milestone and Hik specifically, but I have a lot of confidence it should work because it presents just like a Hik camera.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Nov 15, 2016

Only Dahua and Johnson Controls DRV/NVR's are listed as supported from Milestone: Supported DVR/NVR devices for the Advanced line

I'm not able to test it myself atm, because I don't have my lab systems up.

Is a essential/express and interconnect solution out of reach for the budget?

Alternatively, IVMS-4200 could be a good budget solution for a remote client for Hik products, but it wont exactly shine next to the Smart client..

Jared Tarter
Nov 15, 2016
Milestone Systems

If the NVR allows an ONVIF in connection then, in theory, it should work but I've never come across anyone who has tried. Make sure the time on the NVR is synchronized to the time on the Corporate Recording Server, including time zone and daylight savings time settings. Not having the time synchronized can prevent some ONVIF devices from connecting.

I would also suggest using ONVIF Device Manager (https://sourceforge.net/projects/onvifdm/) to make sure you can connect to the NVR via ONVIF.

(2)
Jared Tarter
Nov 15, 2016
Milestone Systems

One other thing to check is to make sure that the Factory Default password option in the password section of the Add Hardware wizard is unchecked and that the actual username and password are entered.

(2)
U
Undisclosed #4
Nov 15, 2016
IPVMU Certified

If anyone gets it to work, its an interestimg way of beating Milestone out of 15 licenses, due to their one IP/one license policy!

UM
Nov 15, 2016

The Hik 8- and 16-channel encoders such as the DS-6716 only take a single Milestone device license.

U
Undisclosed #4
Nov 15, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Yes, exactly.

But they work with Analog cameras.

NVR's use IP cameras.

UM
Nov 15, 2016

Ahhh. LOL You might be on to something! ;-)

U
Undisclosed #4
Nov 15, 2016
IPVMU Certified

btw, most Analog HD DVRs are actually hybrids, and have a couple of channels of IP inputs available.

I know people have been able to get the dvrs to work at least on the analog channels, as Ethan says, but I've always wondered if those two IP inputs work as well.

(1)
UD
Undisclosed Distributor #5
Nov 16, 2016

Hi,

Hiikvision DVR/NVR devices definitely worked with Milestone ONVIF 16 channel driver earlier (no matter analog or IP cameras connected), but it seems from certain fw version Hik dismissed ONVIF support (it wasn't marketed before as well, but it was supported). Now the only way to use these devices with Milestone is Universal driver (rtsp), but of course it is limited solution.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #4
Nov 16, 2016
IPVMU Certified

it seems from certain fw version Hik dismissed ONVIF support...

Probably to make the encoders worth paying so much more for.

UD
Undisclosed Distributor #6
Nov 16, 2016

Did you perhaps change the http port from the NVR?

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions