Subscriber Discussion

"Hikvision Is The First Company That Has Achieved FIPS 140-2 Certification For IP Camera And Network Video Recorder (NVR) Products."

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Aug 21, 2018

Where is AXIS, Hanwha, Bosch anyone?

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Aug 21, 2018

Sorry  Hikvision is not the first to achieve this certification.  Not by far.  They are usually first at other things.

Here are some materials for you to review. 

Bosch, Genetec Inc. and SecureXperts launch cyber secure IP video solution for critical applications

Bosch (all camera models) and genetec have achieved level 3

All current panasonic have level 1 of 140-2.  View specs here:

WV-S1531LNS

I know that some of the others you listed are working on adding FIPS to their product certifications.

May be helpful to do a few Google searches before posting... 

(4)
(3)
U
Undisclosed #3
Aug 21, 2018

Which specific level of FIPS certification has Hikvision achieved?

Also, they are not the first company to receive FIPS 140-2 certifications. You need to do more of your own research before just blindly reposting Hikvision press releases.

JH
John Honovich
Aug 21, 2018
IPVM

Note: For accuracy, I edited the title to be an exact quote from the Hikvision press release, including quotation marks:

Hikvision is the first company that has achieved FIPS 140-2 certification for IP camera and network video recorder (NVR) products.

We have not investigated this yet but I am assuming that Hikvision means the combination of both, i.e., other companies may have such certifications for IP cameras or NVRs but not for both. This could be wrong. However, at least, is the more specific contention they are making, not simply being the first in video surveillance at all.

BP
Bas Poiesz
Aug 21, 2018

This would seem the most logical explanation.

I don't know of this would gave the same or a different certification.

In the EU we have the example where a smoke detector can have a certain certification but a seperate certification if has has been tested together with the control panel.

Only if both are tested together can it be achieved. Maybe they are the first to certify the working combination of the two.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #4
Aug 21, 2018

Does this really even matter!? I argue that Hikvision's strong or week cyber security does not matter. The fact is that they are a Chinese government owned company. There cyber security should not even be press worthy at this point. Politically speaking an integrator can not sale there products.

(2)
U
Undisclosed #5
Aug 22, 2018

Why are you afraid of the Chinese in security cameras? i am sure that most of your desktop/laptop/smartphone parts are already made and assembled in China and connected to the internet, heck, some of them are also connected to your bank account... why the uproar over cameras? 

(4)
(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #6
Aug 27, 2018

it is much easier to promote fear. I agree with you, there is equal holes in other products but since Hik is stated owned it is an easy target. Bottom line this is a trade war not cyber war

(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #7
Aug 28, 2018

In all three categories you just listed; desktop, laptop and smartphone...  It is not possible for a Chinese state-owned hardware manufacturer to sell their products to the US Govt without partnering with a US based software co, or a US based Telco.  Whether Microsoft desktops and laptops, or Apple's and Google's phones.  About the only exception is Linux servers but US Govt orgs need vetting and special approval for any Linux servers for purposes of security related to open source code.

Hikvision is a Chinese state-owned company that sells intelligent hardware and complete enterprise software systems inside of their own software walled gardens.  Systems designed to essentially create their own networks inside of secured government facility, and specifically designed to provide actual surveillance as traffic'd data.  And lastly...  Systems that have been proven on multiple occasions to be vulnerable to exploitation by bad actors.  

I'll never fully understand why people don't understand the real difference between hardware and software.  

Ethan Ace
Aug 27, 2018
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions