Hikvision Has Blocked IPVM On Twitter

JH
John Honovich
Nov 23, 2017
IPVM

Hikvision is not going to take it anymore, at least not from IPVM on Twitter.

(13)
JH
John Honovich
Nov 23, 2017
IPVM

The action we took prior to Hikvision banning us was to respond to their newest 'fun' tweet:

Outside of republishing old press releases, this is evidently Hikvision's way to deal with its ongoing PR crisis. For example, a couple of days before that:

Our response about the 'real issues' references Hikvision's criticism of us; That Hikvision is dedicated to solving 'terrorism and crime' and, when IPVM exposes their deceptions of their Chinese government ownership or their deceptions about their backdoor, IPVM is siding with the criminals and terrorists.

Obviously, Hikvision's criticism of us is a way to disparage and cope with getting caught. Our response is that if they really want to hang on the 'terrorism and crime fighting' spin, perhaps best to lay off the ongoing 'fun' videos.

Difference Twitter and LinkedIn

Hikvision's response is impacted by differences in social media platforms.

On Twitter, one cannot delete responses to one's post. One can only block users from seeing their posts. Ergo, it appears Hikvision's ban on IPVM.

On LinkedIn, companies can delete responses to one's post but they cannot block users from seeing their posts. Ergo, Hikvision deletes our responses to their post.

Feel Better?

Perhaps, blocking IPVM on Twitter makes them feel better. What would really make them do better is to deal with the issues at hand and not distract themselves with surveillance videos of animals.

(7)
(2)
(8)
U
Undisclosed #1
Nov 23, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Stealing a page out of the Avigilon playbook?

U
Undisclosed #1
Nov 23, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Note to Hikvision:

If the idea to block was to reduce criticism, you failed.

(9)
(1)
(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Nov 23, 2017

(4)
U
Undisclosed #1
Nov 23, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Because this was your typical Hik article four years ago:

Hikvision Trumpets Global Dominance

JH
John Honovich
Nov 23, 2017
IPVM

Hikvision Trumpets Global Dominance

The good old days for Hikvision on IPVM :)

And naivete on my part, from that post:

What Hikvision has done in China, against thousands of other Chinese surveillance companies, is outstanding. 

That was clearly before anyone in the West reported on Hikvision's Chinese government ownership and we understood it. I still do think Hikvision is well run, especially for Chinese video surveillance manufacturer standards and excluding their recent PR implosion, but being the child of the Chinese government certainly explains a lot.

As for why now, I doubt there is any strategy to the Twitter block. It looks like frustration showing following a really bad few weeks for them.

(2)
U
Undisclosed #3
Nov 23, 2017

Chuck Davis - 1; IPVM - 0

(1)
(3)
JH
John Honovich
Nov 23, 2017
IPVM

Lol, come on, leave Chuck Davis alone. He's not running their Twitter account.

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Nov 25, 2017
IPVM

Hikvision has a new 'fun' blog post:

What this has to do with Hikvision, video surveillance or security systems is beyond me.

The post was published on their blog but not shared on Twitter nor LinkedIn to date.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Nov 25, 2017
IPVMU Certified

What this has to do with Hikvision, video surveillance or security systems is beyond me.

Its actually a subtle jab at IPVM, as explained here:

The Bird = Twitter

The Block = Helmet

The Biker = Hikvision

(2)
JH
Jay Hobdy
Nov 26, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Hikvision may be in a better position but I know it is hard for us to produce worthy video. Most of our clients retrieve their own video but when we do see video, we usually cant get permission to use that video due to ongoing legal action.

Point is Hikvision may just be using whatever video they can get to show their product in use. Or they may just be trying to show the lighter side of things.

Not sure they warrant such criticism for the videos...

(3)
U
Undisclosed #1
Nov 26, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Point is Hikvision may just be using whatever video they can get to show their product in use.

Is it even their product in use?  Certainly no Hikvision video surveillence equipment in use.

JH
John Honovich
Nov 26, 2017
IPVM

Certainly no Hikvision video surveillence equipment in use.

In the more recent ones, yes they do not claim that it is from Hikvision cameras. They cote SSI magazine as the source / finder of some of those videos. That it is not even from their cameras is even stranger, i.e., what is the point?

The videos are not well liked, literally. Simply scan Hikvision USA's LinkedIn page and see how the average Hikvision product post gets ~4x more likes than the average Hikvision 'fun' video post.

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #4
Nov 27, 2017

Are you surprised?

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Nov 27, 2017
IPVM

Are you surprised?

No, Hikvision's poor marketing moves no longer surprise me.  I do think it gives a glimpse into their mindset and lack of strategy in dealing with criticism.

U
Undisclosed #5
Nov 27, 2017

The Chicom's don't like the exposure of security flaws and all the bad press. In China they would just jail you as a threat to the party and you would not be heard from again and then then would harvest your organs !

RS
Rob Stayrer
Nov 27, 2017
A.S. Security & Surveillance Inc

Blocking IPVM for speaking the truth, was not cool.. 

(2)
JH
John Honovich
Dec 05, 2017
IPVM

Update: Hikvision USA has stopped posting on social media for the past 7 days, last post:

Strange since they regularly post many times per week. Come on back, Hikvision USA!

(2)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #6
Dec 06, 2017

The government censor had the week off.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #7
Dec 06, 2017

Perhaps their lawyer is tweeting on their behalf too. :) 

SS
Stephen Schulz
Dec 07, 2017
IPVMU Certified

"Hikvision Has Blocked IPVM On Twitter"

You've been a very bad boy. 😈

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions