Subscriber Discussion

Hikvision/Dahua/Standalone DVR Manufacturers - Please Add Intrusion Alarm Functionality

Sean Nelson
Mar 24, 2017
Nelly's Security

I always thought that if Hikvision or Dahua added full featured alarm functionality to their standalone recorders, this would be a game changer. A complete All in One security system. A majority of your integrator customers already do this. This would rock the market.

Manufacturers, this is what you need to succeed:

- We need wireless options. You can do wired systems later but I think your core customer (4-16 channel camera installers) will prefer self contained wireless systems, focus on this first to boost your sales. Study leaders in this area: 2GIG, Interlogix, Qolsys, DSC. Your customers want easy, fast, and convenient.

- Give user the ability to connect to their own central station. Dont even consider making your own central station.

- Gain an edge by using your own web based cloud system that controls the alarm features through your phone and web. You will gain an edge by making this an optional "unpaid" service. Give the user the option to use their network as the communication line (which would be free) or they can stick a sim card in their and use a cellular service of their choice. This infrastructure should be easy for you since you already do something similar with your video surveillance P2P service. Look at alarm.com, great service, but you have to use cellular, which means you have no choice but to do a monthly paid service. Give the user the option to do a free service by hooking it up to their network.

- make a touchscreen video keypad. Dont even think about making those ugly 80's style push button pads. You can do this, you have made touchscreens with your video phones and some of your larger NVR's. Make a touchscreen. Want to really make the keypad cool? Allow camera feeds to be shown on it.

- add smart home automation features as well via Zwave. Im surprised you havent jumped on this yet. 

If done right, this could really be a game changer. 

(2)
MM
Michael Miller
Mar 24, 2017

Doesn't Bosch, DMP, Honeywell and others already do all of this aready? 

Sean Nelson
Mar 24, 2017
Nelly's Security

all in one appliance?

MM
Michael Miller
Mar 24, 2017

Well with Bosch you can add  Bosch IP cameras to the alarm system to push JPEG, view live video and recorded video.  Not even sure you need a NVR as they can record right on SD cards 

UE
Undisclosed End User #2
Mar 24, 2017

I believe you can also use IP Cameras for motion detection to trip IDS panels

MM
Michael Miller
Mar 24, 2017

and analytic events

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Mar 24, 2017

Is there a massive market for this "all in one" type NVR?   

Focusing residential or commercial market? 

Timing?

Asked myself such questions last year, after playing with a really good self contained wireless panel.  It talks pure TCP/IP, easy to be integrated with NVR within LAN.

Sean Nelson
Mar 24, 2017
Nelly's Security

I think so. Focus mainly on resi and small business market

(1)
Campbell Chang
Apr 11, 2017

Only just read this discussion now.

For a manufacturer, surely full site coverage is something worth looking at?

I know as an integrator, if I could sell a complete security suite in 1 program, especially in greenfield sites, I'd win bucket loads.  1 program to do everything.  Even on an enterprise scale, I think it would be viable.

UE
Undisclosed End User #2
Mar 24, 2017

Sean, I think your on to something. Whichever manufacturer adopts this concept and combines access control, and can scale from resi to enterprise will be a game winner.

Vincent Tong
Mar 24, 2017

We actually have some in development for the DVRs with Z-Wave functionality built in but it takes a little time to properly integrate the vast devices that have Z-Wave function on it.  The DVR acts as a hub and uses the wireless Z-Wave devices as sensors and alarm out functions and notifies through the DVR native app.  The problem we are running into is making all those Z-Wave products out there fully compatible.

(1)
Sean Nelson
Mar 24, 2017
Nelly's Security

Thats Genius Vincent. Yes, it would probably be easier just to use the zwave protocol as the preferred wireless signal for the alarm side, this way you wouldnt have to make 2 different wireless protocols for alarm and home automation.

Im no zwave engineer but isnt Zwave similar to Onvif in which you really dont have to worry about each specific brand, you just have to worry about the general product type? For example door locks, doesnt the zwave alliance give protocol guidelines to follow on how all door locks should work? This way you dont have to worry about integrating with all different brands and models of door locks? Or am I wrong on that. I just go with my basic experience of using zwave hubs such as Vera and Smart things. It virtually works on any zwave device I throw at it and it picks up on what type of device it is.

Of course just like Onvif, im sure their are alot of variables that come in play?

Vincent Tong
Mar 24, 2017

Yeah might be similar to onvif but just like onvif everyone has a different way to implement it sometimes.  The biggest problem so far is that getting the devices to pair up and be recognized properly.

Most everything is ready, the Z-Wave board is embedded into the plastic front planel to get better signal.  We are just working on the compatibility issue for now.

Sean Nelson
Mar 24, 2017
Nelly's Security

cool, id be interested in testing it out when its test ready

Brian Rhodes
Mar 24, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Instead of the touchscreen keypad, Set-Top Box DIY Alarm System Sage is using the homeowner's TV screens and remotes.

Also, Sage does not offer dedicated sensor wireless (ie: 345/900 mhz or similar) but is totally Zigbee sensor based, so that might depart from the sales model you paint.

UM
Mar 27, 2017

Sean,  a integration of NVR+wireless intrusion system shall be demo'd at ISC West next week.  Welcome to drop by  in case you would be there too. Can pass our booth# to you via private message here.  

Sean Nelson
Mar 27, 2017
Nelly's Security

I dont think Im gonna go this year, but feel free to shoot me an email or PM me with some info if you like: snelson@nellyssecurity.com 

UM
Mar 27, 2017

Okay thanks.   We partner with a very reputable panel company to introduce this integrate solution next week.  Will provide details after the announcement. 

oK
oleg Kush
Mar 27, 2017

most nvr, dvr have input for triggers in the back.

security panel even like 2gig has trigger output. 

if that is the case of the question then "system" already exist.

also i would like to mention is the stability of the "all in one" system...WHAT IF..

nvr/dvr/cameras they are know to fail-as there is more components, where security system usually last well over 10 years.

because of this i would be reluctant to have 2 systems sitting in 1 box powered by 1 power supply and possible sharing 1 board(hopefully that is not the case)

(2)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions