Subscriber Discussion

Hikvision 2MP VS 4MP EXIR Turrets

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Feb 14, 2017

I cannot afford darkfighter but I want a decent day/night image.  I need a wide view so I was thinking about going with the 2.8 mm lens vs the 4mm, I know you get less detail but you see more FOV.  I was recently dissapointed with some HIK 4MP Domes I picked up, I was getting crazy DNR Ghosting so I had to turn them down to under 50% gain on DNR. I need a recomendation on a HIK Camera that will work well for day and night, will the 4mp Exir still have the DNR gain ghosting issuses and I will have to turn it down again or should I just go with the 2mp exir? Or if someone has a better suggestion please let me know. My 1.3mp old Hik cameras have the best night vision but I don't want to drop that low on the resolution

Ethan Ace
Feb 14, 2017

Which 4MP domes did you try? The 2542? 2142? The 2542's IR illumination is pretty weak, so I could see noise being more of a problem there. I haven't used the 2142.

We have a test of the 4MP EXIR models and I don't recall significant ghosting during that test. The IR is stronger which would help reduce the noise and thus the amount of DNR applied. 

UI
Feb 14, 2017

Thanks Ethan, yeah the 2142s have decent night vision if there is light but ghosting is apparent with gain set 40-50% or higher. 

Jon Dillabaugh
Feb 14, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

We have installed the 4MP EXIR Turrets and haven't seen the DNR issues you are expressing. Also, we haven't installed any of the 2MP models to compare, but the 4MP model does just fine in low light, thanks to the EXIR. If you needed to stay in day (color) mode longer for a given reason, you may find the 2MP does that.

However, you have to also accept the loss of detail during the day. I would accept the shorter daytime mode of a 4MP in order to get the daytime detail.

(1)
UI
Feb 14, 2017

Thanks Jon,

Have you tried the 5mp Exir turret with H.264+ Encoding?

its only $25 more this month at ADI will the night vision be a lot worse? We have some ambient lighting to work with a street light and some dusk to dawn lights, it's not bright but it's not dark out there either 

Jon Dillabaugh
Feb 14, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

No I have not tried the 5MP yet. The 5MP seems to be rated better for low light, according to the Hik specs (0.014 @ ƒ/1.4 5MP vs 0.028 @ ƒ/2.0 4MP), but take that with a grain of salt until you try them out first hand.

EDIT: also, almost all of the newer Hiks have h.264+

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions